Drilling lintels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wanted to put an exit for a cooker hood in a wall above the window. But I have been told by a person there might be a lintel above the window so i should not make the hole.

I was wondering how can you tell where a lintel is? Also how far over the window do they stretch?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well there is good chance there will be one over every window and door.

Depending on age of house it might have no lintel over the outer leaf of brickwork (so sat on the window frame) but will definitely have a timber or concrete on on the inner leaf.

If built in last 40 years then it will have one in both.

last 30 years chances are it will be a catnic type that bridges both leaves of brick/ block work.

They should extend at least 100mm over each side of the opening but they could be more to save cutting the lintels down to size (they could be less as well to save money on getting a longer one).

Keep well clear if your not sure. If you cant help it then take a brick out and have a butchers. Try the third course above the window head and you should be ok but there is no guarantee

Sponsored Links
Can you make a hole in the wood above the lintel?

I echo Alastair... :?:

Where have you found wood? Is your house standard masonry construction? And when was it built?

If masonry, ideally you should try to get 100mm or so between the top of the lintel and your hole to allow loads to spread back through the masonry to the lintel...but as long as you don't go straight through the lintel a six inch diameter hole isn't going to cause any problems...

If it isn't masonry, tell us what the construction type is (if you know).

The lintel is concrete. We are on the first floor and have the roof above us. The house is standard masonry construction, probably built in 1920.
I was taking away the plaster to see how big the lintel was and found there was wood above the lintel.

I don't know what this is for, maybe part of the roof? I was thinking of making the hole in the wood piece, to fit the extraction duct.

that is probably the wall plate which holds your roof up and cutting any of it away would be a bad idea. If you post a photo maybe someone could suggest other options.

further to that, the lintel will only extend 150-200mm or so past the window opening so if possible can you fit it to one side?

Sounds like your extractor needs to exit through the roof...

With that in mind, is it pitched or flat? Need to be careful you don't end up with a leaky lid if you take that route...

I will get some photos. I think you are right it might be a wall plate. The room is tiny, there is only 150mm distance on each side of the window.

I have a pitched slate tile roof. I can reach the first two rows of the tiles but anything above that i won't be able to reach.
Where can i buy the roof tile with a hole for the duct?
Is it easy to fit?

It says it has a 110 mm diameter, how do connect that to the 150mm extractor duct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back