Drilling through battens into wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ive seen this method mentioned a number of times, but one thing puzzles me .....

If your drill bit is say 6mm (for red plugs), and you are using 4mm screws, then what's to stop the screw head passing right through the batten?

Sponsored Links
4mm determines the screw thread diameter rather than the head but you are correct - over zealous tightening can pull the screw through the batten.
John :)

A much easier method is to use self drilling screws, drill a 6mm pilot hole through the wood and into the brick, using an 8mm screw and impact driver screw the battens to the wall. Using large washers will give you a better pull on the wood also. This method saves on faffing around with plugs, lining it back up etc.

Hurr?
Knock the plug and the screw through the hole in the baton, you don't need concrete screws for this unless you are made of money!

Sponsored Links
exactly! if you're overzealous you will be able to pull a screw through a batten especially if you drill the hole over depth.
Usual method is drill through the batten into the wall, shouldn't be a problem though red plug 5-6mm drill bit 4 or 5 screw(in new money) brown plug, 7mm drill and a 5 or bigger screw.

In my case I'm fixing battens to a 100 year old, lime mortar, single skin brick internal wall, with old horsehair plaster on the other side, so I want to use as little force as possible. I'm also battening around two side-by-side doorways, so I'm wary of dislodging the brick column between the doorways (though there are some timbers set into the lower part of the wall I can fix to).

The roof joists are resting on this wall.

Ian

Attachments

• 2016-08-29 08.01.16.jpg
    2016-08-29 08.01.16.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 259
  • 2016-08-27 16.11.54.jpg
    2016-08-27 16.11.54.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 270
It'll be the drilling of the hole which will most likely dislodge the bricks rather than anything else. Take it slow with the drill.

Why do you want to batten the wall?

Various reasons .... to allow space for sockets, and to provide easy fixing for future shelving etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back