Drink Driving.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So far, it is not something that the consequences of have touched my family personally.

A few years ago, a daughter of my village died hopelessly young in a car crash when her boyfriend's immature brain decided to go fast in a car that he couldn't drive, the passenger side hit the tree, he walked away unmarked.

In't T'pub today I have learn't that her older brother blew 2x over the limit last night on his way home from having a good time down town.

I remember trying to pacify him & trying to make sense of things that just don't make any sense.

Sometime today he has had to sit down & tell his mother what he did last night.

Sometime in the next few weeks he has to sit down with me.

Sponsored Links
Us humans are a strange beast, full of double standards. Think of all those that drink & drive, break speed limits etc. They evidently think it's okay for them to do it ... however I imagine most of them would be extremely angry if one of their nearest and dearest was seriously injured or worse by a drink driver and/or speeder.

Law of averages says at least one or two people reading this will think nothing of driving at 30 maybe even slightly higher in a 20 zone. I wonder what they'd think if their parent/partner/child was killed by someone doing 30 in a 20?

As I say, we're full of double standards.

I don't know anyone, personally, who has been charged with drink driving. Does it happen?
Unfortunately I do. Half of my immediate family was killed by a drunk driver. He was sentenced to four years in jail - I've had a lifetime sentence. His actions also caused me to be the last of a long line of family.
And my workmate of many years was followed home from the pub and breathalysed in his drive - 18 month ban, big fine. He was lucky to keep his job as he was a mobile worker up to that point.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I do. Half of my immediate family was killed by a drunk driver. He was sentenced to four years in jail - I've had a lifetime sentence. His actions also caused me to be the last of a long line of family.
And my workmate of many years was followed home from the pub and breathalysed in his drive - 18 month ban, big fine. He was lucky to keep his job as he was a mobile worker up to that point.

So sorry to hear about that.

D&D days is seen in a different light these days when compared to 30 years ago.
Often these b's injure, maim or as you too well know, kill innocent victims and sadly at times wipe out families.

I've never heard of anyone being charged with one point over as possible they don't publish stories like that but that are double, treble or even more over the limit.

Disgusting and nasty behaviour and if someone confessed to me they'd been D&D I'd kick their teeth in unless they'd promised never to do it again.
I can't tolerate disgusting people like that.

IMO, someone that is over the limit, for every point over the limit should equate to year per point so quiet a few could lose their licence for life rightly so. Anyone more than 50% over the limit should get a mandatory prison sentence

Disgusting and nasty behaviour and if someone confessed to me they'd been D&D I'd kick their teeth in unless they'd promised never to do it again.
I can't tolerate disgusting people like that.
You've just surrendered the moral high ground. :rolleyes:

The boy racer didn't get in to the car knowing that he was unfit to drive. The drink driver did. So I have more sympathy with the reckless idiot who misjudged his ability, the conditions etc. than the person who didn't care to driver sober. That said there are some circumstances where people just don't realise they may be over the limit (not twice though). The morning after the night before, can always be risky. We also have plenty of drink/drug drivers who are functioning alcoholics/addicts.

Having lost his sister at a young age, he may have suffered depression/PTSD on level that others don't understand.

Is drug driving more prevalent nowadays?

Yes. Drugs are more prevalent generally. Regularly smell cannabis smoke when out and about. Wasn't so prevalent years ago.

Often surprised when police stop scuzzers on programmes like Police Interceptors, etc and find coke on them. Used to be an expensive drug with a certain image. Must be a lot cheaper and more available now.

Is drug driving more prevalent nowadays?
There's really poor statistics on it, but probably yes. The ONS is trying to work out how to get better statistics but right now the quality is poor for everything except drink/drug fatalities.

Yes. Drugs are more prevalent generally. Regularly smell cannabis smoke when out and about. Wasn't so prevalent years ago.

Often surprised when police stop scuzzers on programmes like Police Interceptors, etc and find coke on them. Used to be an expensive drug with a certain image. Must be a lot cheaper and more available now.

Where is the evidence???

if someone confessed to me they'd been D&D I'd kick their teeth in unless they'd promised never to do it again.
Would this apply to all crime? sounds like a plan to be fair. Until we get to the bit where they promise not to do it again:LOL:.
I’ll ask you again , are you 5?
Got to be the biggest idiot I ever came across on a forum. Or indeed a building site, and believe me that is pretty special.

Sponsored Links
Back