Habitual Drink Drivers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't get to visit my local t'pub much at nights & the crowd that frequents in the eve's is very much different to us day timers.

One of the night crowd has become an habitual drink driver, regularly driving the 500-600yds home after a skinful. I know of him but I don't know him all that well, I'm told there's trouble at home so he's been popping in t'pub straight from work & drinking himself silly for a few months now.

Anyway, someone has reported him for drink driving, so sometime in the very near future he's going to be targetted . . . . . ! The chap that's reported him told him. Said to him "now you can't drink & drive".

Half t'village is now in uproar & this 'snitch' is in serious danger of all those petty 'vendetta' type incidents that darken typical village life.

I got it instantly, but can you think of why some folk are very upset that this bloke has been reported???

Sponsored Links
500-600 yards!
He can't even use the lame excuse that he lives too far.
We're talking about 10 minutes walk for a complete drunk, 5 minutes for anyone else.
No excuse, he must not drink and drive.
Anyone objecting to this should think about getting run over by a drunk driver, then they'll probably change their mind.

Sponsored Links
I don't get to visit my local t'pub much at nights & the crowd that frequents in the eve's is very much different to us day timers.

One of the night crowd has become an habitual drink driver, regularly driving the 500-600yds home after a skinful. I know of him but I don't know him all that well, I'm told there's trouble at home so he's been popping in t'pub straight from work & drinking himself silly for a few months now.

Anyway, someone has reported him for drink driving, so sometime in the very near future he's going to be targetted . . . . . ! The chap that's reported him told him. Said to him "now you can't drink & drive".

Half t'village is now in uproar & this 'snitch' is in serious danger of all those petty 'vendetta' type incidents that darken typical village life.

I got it instantly, but can you think of why some folk are very upset that this bloke has been reported???
As Lord and master of t'village and t'pub, could you not issue an edict?

I don't broadcast it if I report someone.

But having said that, those who are up in arms probably know him, like him, think it's not a crime, it's only half a K, etc, and won't entertain the fact that he could easily kill or maim, wrongly believing that the very short distance reduces the risk of accidents to zero.

They may even think that the poor sausage is suffering enough angst as it is, so why would some nasty person do this?

After all, many of us have bad stuff to deal with in life, but that doesn't mean we can go round breaking the law

The most dangerous thing about these people is that they may be drink drivers too.

I agree with secure. The people defending him are probably drink drivers as well

if I lived in that village I wouldn't be upset. Are you ?

I wonder if all those defending him would still do so if he knocked over and seriously injured or killed one of their nearest and dearest? Funnily enough there was a very similar story on one of those police tv progs years back. Guy was regularly driving a stones throw home from the pub, when intoxicated. Someone reported him. Good on them I say.

Until recently a regular drink driver in my local was a retired copper. He's had to give up the sauce now for health reasons.

Not the first ex or serving policeman that I've known of over the years who likes to drive after a few pints.

Mind how you go!

About 25 years ago I reported my own brother for drink driving. Every 2nd week on a Saturday we would all meet up at mum & dads for a catch up and let the kids all play together. All the lads, (brothers, cousins and brothers in law), would go round to the pub and have a few beers. Usually only 2 pints as most of us had kids to take back home and most of us used to use public transport so it wouldn't have looked good being drunk in charge of a couple of kids. One of my brothers however didn't have kids and used to drive. After coming back from the pub he would have a scotch or two before driving home about 15 miles away. Both me and my other brother warned him he shouldn't drive but he took no notice. So one week I warned him if he had more than the two pints and got in his car I'd report him. He did so I did and he got 6 points and a hefty fine. Ignored me for about 3 or 4 months then one Saturday turned up and said he wanted to talk to me. Turned out a mate of his had had an 'accident' on his way home from his local and knocked an old bloke down. Old man was quite badly hurt but survived. His mate was being prosecuted for DD and he lived just over 1/4 mile from the pub. Then he said he wished he'd listen to us when we had been telling him not to do it. A case of 'it always happens to someone else'.

Lucky he wasn't banned.
Even 2 pints of 4.5% and I'd have trouble finding the car.

Sponsored Links
Back