teenagers and cars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pal was on the phone last night worrying.
Her children are older than mine and one of her girls has a boyfriend who is a bit of a boy racer.
He is known to speed about in his souped up car and I have been in the car with said pal when we have been overtaken by this boy, flying along and showing off.
He is a lovely lad but impressionable and my pal is terrified because he had come to pick her daughter up to go the pictures.

She had said, drive carefully as they left but was really scared.
We have had alot of fatal accidents locally and we both lost several friends in accidents.

I know you have to chill out and trust your kids but Im dreading mine getting old enough to drive and be passengers.

I didnt know what to say to her really...
you cant wrap your kids in cotton wool I guess.

Sponsored Links
yeh a BIG BIG worry, drink drugs cars, my daughter ( 21 ) comes out with the usual quote " dont worry " if only :!: :!: just enjoy your kiddies music :LOL:

yes, I can remember saying the same to my mam poshman and her replying in the same vein.

As a young girl I couldnt understand why everything was such a big deal with my mam all of the time.

Cars, drinking, places I went, where I stayed the night, what time I got home, who my boyfriends were...

Clothes.. (we all wanted to dress to attract the opposite sex but our mams wanted us to dress like pretty girls, not sexy girls)

Mam would say, you'll understand when you have your own kids..

Its true!!

Sponsored Links
I have boys as most of you will know by now.. and I know its sexist but Im relieved because..

When Im at my pals and her daughters are getting ready to go out we look at each other and shake our heads.
These young girls, with their cleavages and perfect young skin, tiny wee skirts, giggling after a bottle of vodka whatever.... look stunning.

I think, Im only 35 and i can certainly remember going out like that and not always being as good as I had promised I would be and its scary knowing they too will probably be a little naughty!!!

A group of pals (my pals) and I were out one night following a meal and we were having a good laugh and the women were giggling about any handsome men we saw and our partners were doing the same etc...

We bumped into pals daughters and friends who were out on the town and they mortified that we were out and could be eyeing up any one else as we were all 'too old'!!!!

my goodness... our group ranged from 30 years to 57! OLD!!!!! no way!

Kids!!!

Toffee, I think I'd have been worried about that lads driving too :eek: . A friend's son was killed 3 weeks ago, driving like a lunatic - no seatbelt and overtook 3 cars on a blind bend - on a road that is known to locals as the 'corridor of death' :cry:

Thing is, loads of young lads are careful drivers. My eldest has been driving for two years now and the only scrapes and bumps on his car have been done by other people in the car park where he works (he gets really upset about it but has nowhere else to park) :rolleyes:

The other night he went to pick a mate up to go to a concert and this mate had invited some girl along. The lads Mum stood and lectured son on his driving for about half an hour before they were allowed to leave. My son was quite put out, bless him. I asked him what he said in reply. He replied that it would have been rude to answer her back (he's nearly 20) and just nodded and agreed with her LOL.

I'm 20 and have had 2 accidents. The first was not my fault, though my car got written off, and my mum, dad and sister got varying degrees of injury. The other car was less badly damaged (it wasn't moving, mine his his at about 40mph, he pulled out in front of me). And his insurers haven't heard from him since the crash, so we haven't recieved any compo yet.

The second accident was my fault, sort of. I was pulling off a pavement at 90 degrees, going right onto the road. Checked both ways (though to my right was a car parked, so i was looking thru it to check it was clear that direction). Didn't see a scooter coming up from a nearby sideroad to the right, and it hit my wing at about 20mph. No serious injury caused. Just a graze, and my car had to have a couple of new panels and new windscreen.

After these little mishaps, I have learnt my lesson, observation is everything, and I consider myself to be a careful driver, although i do tend to take advantage of long empty roads between 10pm and 5am, by exceeding the speed limit. But doesn't everybody? And i like my music loud too, but i do turn it down when i approach junctions, so i can concentrate and hear any emergency vehicles. And if i had a girlfriend in the car, who i cared about, I would not drive to impress her, by doing stupid speeds etc (bit difficult now i drive a deisel :LOL: ). I would actually drive more carefully, though not so much that she thinks im a grandad or something :LOL:

I do see some stupid idiots driving souped up cars on my street. Thing is, its a straight road about 250 metres long, and they accellerate until 50m before the end, where they slam the brakes on. See them doing 40-50mph sometimes, with girlfriend in the back and subwoofer blasting their ears in.

Funniest ones are 16yo scooter riders who give their girlfriends pillion rides with no helmet, despite allegedly "caring about them". :rolleyes: :evil:

as other folks on here can attest...it takes only one time....in my case it was a bad one....but even a fender bender will make you uneasy driving even if you a safe one (driver)....I think the young part is the key....didnt we all feel rather invincible when we were young...like nothing could hurt us...much less ...the capability of killing yourself or others with the big metal beast :confused: we call our 'car'?

I think we should take America stand and not let them drive until they are 21...they are nithing but a pain in the a*s..

But the thing is...we have all been teenagers or young drivers...its not a new thing is it.

Car+young bloke+mates who need 'impressing'=accident

Zampa said:
I think we should take America stand and not let them drive until they are 21...they are nithing but a pain in the a*s..

But the thing is...we have all been teenagers or young drivers...its not a new thing is it.

Car+young bloke+mates who need 'impressing'=accident

that use to be the case....now they can drive on their own at 18 and get their permit at 16...when with a licensed adult...

a couple of really nice kids living in my village was involved in a fatal car crash a couple of years ago. They had been showing off racing their cars to impress their girlfriends when a good time turned ugly and they crashed into an oncoming van. The young girl was alive when the ambulance arrived she even talked to the paramedics but they knew they could do nothing to save her as her torso was so badley crushed the only thing keeping her alive was the crushed car......as soon as they cut her loose she passed away. she was 15. the other kids were lucky they died instantly.

what is the point of making cars that go faster than the speed limit?

Sponsored Links
Back