Driver awareness course ......

I have the feeling that even hands-free will become illegal (some researchers reckon it impairs drivers as much as alcohol).
That would imply that using say your indicators and a gear stick and chatting to a passenger will also become illegal then surely?

Sponsored Links
No such implication.

They could easily make any use of mobile phones illegal.

That chatting to a passenger, which some people can't do without turning to look at them, might be equally, or more, dangerous (as might using sat-nav) is irrelevant.

That would imply that using say your indicators and a gear stick and chatting to a passenger will also become illegal then surely?

So, a lone guy in an automatic BMW should be safe!

Joking aside, indicators and a gear stick are pretty fundamental to (most) driving so, no, they won't become illegal any time soon. At least, I doubt it.

However, the "chatting hands-free is the same as chatting to a passenger" argument has been done, and dismissed; so the theory goes, a passenger can see and sense whether and when the driver needs a bit of space to concentrate on a tricky situation, and amend their conversation accordingly. Whereas, the person on the other end of the (hands-free) 'phone, can't.

So is there data for the number of accidents directly caused due to use of a mobile phone or as Brigadier mentioned a contributing factor.

So if the issue is distraction is listening to music and driving distracting?
It maybe a myth but can you be pulled over for wearing earphones or headphones whilst driving?

I have a simple rule my car my music and it's classical.

Sponsored Links
"chatting hands-free is the same as chatting to a passenger" argument has been done, and dismissed
I would argue that travelling with two boisterous boys in the car is infinitely more distracting than chatting alone in a car using hands free. Yet I'm not penalised for carrying my children as passengers. Why not?

So is there data for the number of accidents directly caused due to use of a mobile phone or as Brigadier mentioned a contributing factor.

So if the issue is distraction is listening to music and driving distracting?
It maybe a myth but can you be pulled over for wearing earphones or headphones whilst driving?

I have a simple rule my car my music and it's classical.

IIRC, more research claimed that classical music made for more aggressive driving, compared to other forms of music.
Although, there's probably a piece of research out there to prove anything one might want proving!

I would argue that travelling with two boisterous boys in the car is infinitely more distracting than chatting alone in a car using hands free. Yet I'm not penalised for carrying my children as passengers. Why not?

Collapse of society?

An old school mate of mine is heavily involved in medical research that involves the foetus of aborted babies. He is so totally focused on his work & the good that may come of it that he cannot comprehend anyone having a problem with what he does.

He says that he works within the law.

I'm not sure that the rules surrounding liquidising a foetus & dissolving it in acids has ever been disscussed in parliament, but it most certainly was at the last BBQ he attended.

If you need someone to tell you the difference between right & wrong, if you need a speed limit to work to or if you need someone to tell you when you can & when you cannot touch your phone . . . Then please, get off the road.

I would argue that travelling with two boisterous boys in the car is infinitely more distracting than chatting alone in a car using hands free.
I agree. Especially for women.

Yet I'm not penalised for carrying my children as passengers. Why not?
Statistics show that 100% of accidents involved a vehicle that contained a driver. Why is this not illegal?

Stop being silly.

The issue is dealing with things that you don't normally deal with. Personally I see no difference between talking on a radio and using a phone or giving a driving commentary (IAM style). If its something you do all the time, you adapt. If its something you don't, it requires extra brain cycles. For example I just came back from a test drive in a car, it had lots of gizmos and was unfamiliar - my driving standard was much lower than usual. New car, new things to learn.

The mobile phone regs are here.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2695/regulation/2/made

Doesn't actually say hands free is allowed, but the definition of prohibited device is a hand held device other than a 2-way radio.

Stop being silly.
I was being silly for silly sake, if you know what I mean. I'm not of the opinion that using hands-free whilst driving is safe. Rather, having a radio on and screeching along to that, is no less distracting or a Rozzer on his police radio etc.

It boils my pi$$ when I see morons texting whilst cradling their phones and steering wheel at the same time.:mad:

Last edited:
If you need someone to tell you the difference between right & wrong, if you need a speed limit to work to or if you need someone to tell you when you can & when you cannot touch your phone . . . Then please, get off the road.

That covers around 90% of people on the road then? Maybe even more?

Unlikely it will ever happen, so until then things like speed limits are there to protect us all!

I was being silly for silly sake, if you know what I mean.
Yes, I know.

Using mobiles doesn't seem to be illegal in the US (according to TV and films). Do they not have any accidents related to the use of mobiles?

As said, CBs and other radios are not illegal therefore it can't be the talking that is the problem - it must be the pressing buttons.

Texting is obviously a dangerous thing to do.

It is the pressing buttons, I see it all the time, you can spot the typers a mile off but not the talkers.

Sponsored Links
Back