Driveway Block Paving Type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are looking to have our driveway done in block pavers and we were recommended the Marshall range of pavers, the driveline 50, but since then, another person tendering has recommended using clay pavers and not the concrete ones such as marshalls. They say that they are more resilient and do not fade as easily as concrete type.

Has anyone had any of these type fitted or know if this is true about the colour etc.

Also is there a great difference from using crushed glass or sharp sand as the base for the pavers. We are looking at an area of 152 m2

Any help or advice would really be appreciated

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Clays are pretty dear in comparison but you get your moneys worth as they last a long time. check out paving expert . com for any of your queries as it's a pretty reliable source of info.

As for laying them it's probably down to each contractor. Anything in the region of coarsness as including sharp sand will be suitable. I personally usually use what my local merchant calls paving sand but is effectively a very course sharp sand/ grit. I have also used pure grit a few times and it screeds and floats well but doesn't lie quite as dead so is easily disturbed but is perfectly suitable.

We have started to get in quotes on clays and it seems that there is not such a great deal more in the price as we expected, ie 155m2 of marshall clay and the same of Brockley clays works out at about £300 extra, but a £1 more dear per m2 to fit due to slight irregularities in the firing process. I can live with that price difference for what seems to be a far better option.

Oh and the crushed glass apparently gives better water dispersal than sand, or so i'm told :D

Thanks again and if anyone else has a view, please let me know

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back