Driveway gravel

There’s also a local supplier that stocks
“GROUNDCHECK EXTRA GEOTEXTILE 4.5M X 11M GEOGC8040”

Is this any better?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can I please have some pointers on the above?
It’s a geo-textile woven fabric from Grant and stone.

Also I need to put a join in this. Any tips on overlap?

Thanks again

What you are planning is not the best in terms of design - sub-bases and depths etc. So it's a case of trialling "something".

You will need a membrane, else mud will rise. Ground may still rut and water pond, but the membrane will help resist this and deal with the mud.

Those fabrics look ok.

One side of ours is 20mm gravel straight onto compacted soil, other side is 10mm with gravel grid.

Both work well and neither get picked up by the tyres.

The grid is excellent, used some in the back garden as well.

Sponsored Links
Have wither of them got a geotextile fabric under them @Keithmac?
Incidentally, I have now purchased a geotextile woven fabric but the rain kept me at bay last weekend :(

When I did my friends' drive we used a geotex fabric prior to laying the décor stone and after the compacted MOT. I also 'reinforced' the impact areas with some concrete just to prevent habitual wheel rut.

That's very helpful. I think this isn't too dissimilar to my situation as I already have firm ground. I've been driving over this for a couple of years without any issues. I also had gravel here previously.

Did you opt for a non-woven fabric? Mine in woven as that's what was being recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    328.1 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0577.JPG
    IMG_0577.JPG
    598.5 KB · Views: 225
I've been driving over this for a couple of years without any issues. I also had gravel here previously.
What you will be doing is changing the surface conditions so that water will no longer drain freely off the surface or evapourate off. That means you can't rely on your two years of no issues because the conditions will be different - typically the ground will stay wetter for longer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back