Driveway gravel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to throw gravel across this area. It seems solid as we’ve been paring cars on here for the last 6 months. I’ve been advised not to put a memberane down as that will create a slippery surface and hence, assume that my choice of gravel is spread across this area without any other steps?

On gravel, there seems to be so many choices and variety in costs. I know it comes down to personal choice but is there a popular and economical choice that people often adopt?

Sponsored Links
You don't say what the existing surface is or attach photos, but gravel will be picked up by your car tyres and spread onto the road, especially if laid on a hard surface

Blup

Sorry @blup. Forgot to attach the pic!
The surface is hard earth with remnants of the old gravel that was here.

Look forward to your advice

Attachments

• 48FC802E-D4F3-44DB-BFE0-16B3DC5D8CC2.jpeg
    48FC802E-D4F3-44DB-BFE0-16B3DC5D8CC2.jpeg
    390.9 KB · Views: 400
The surface is hard at present partly due to the dry weather; it could be a mud bath in autumn after heavy rain - throwing gravel on will not help this, although no reason not to try it as a relatively cheap and temporary fix.

Done properly a sub base is required, this link is to the one of the internet's experts and may help:

www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01.htm#drive

Blup

Sponsored Links
We in ignorance of sub bases, laid terram fabric across a huge (13m x 10m) front drive, and covered it with 3/4 limestone chippings. It's not the stately home crunchy gravel finish, but it drains well and is weed free-ish. That was 23 years ago! The same system would do that postage stamp a treat!

PS if you do use this method, go down another 2-3 inches for edge containment.

I should have said that this area had gravel previously. It got messy during the house extension so I lifted it out. It had been there a few years with minimal weed growth and clearly withstood the weather and parking strains. I'm inclined to spread gravel across this area as is if that seems sensible?

I know theres so many different gravel types but was wondering if there is a good choice which balances asthetics, performance and cost?

Ring a company called Earthline and ask for limestone scalpings. Cheap as chips but might be a minimum of 5 tonne order. That might be enough for your project there if not maybe you can use the excess on a garden path. You can get landscaping membrane (the plastic stuff not the felt stuff). I would put that underneath first just to stop some of the weeds.

If not you can go with 10mm shingle, its more expensive but will give that crunch sound as you walk on it. Limestone scalpings will give a crunch but will bind/compact together overtime so it might need topping up a year down the line.

Hope that helps

It would be best dug out a bit - atleast so the gravel is level with the concrete.

The best place to get the gravel would be a local quarry, you will usually get a far better price

on membrane, someone has said that the gravel and car tyres will slip around if I use this. Should I avoid membrane in my situation as I have a solid ground that I'm spreading shingle across?

Last edited:
Our neighbour has gravel - the sort of Jane Austen country house-type gravel which crunches - and walking on it is like walking on treacle - it's slow and tireing.

I’ve been advised not to put a memberane down
Whoever gave you that advice should be buried under the gravel - along with a membrane so that they can experience the stupidity of their advice.

But is not just a case of throwing some random membrane down.

Thanks @^woody^ !

I need to put his down on Saturday and want to do it properly. Can you help please and is this something that I can get from toolstation/screwfix?

The ground has been in the current state for over a year now and we have been driving cars off and on to this.

Our neighbour has gravel - the sort of Jane Austen country house-type gravel which crunches - and walking on it is like walking on treacle - it's slow and tireing.
Why are you creeping around the neighbour's house Mr Darcy?

You have limited depth and are keeping the existing soil, so limited options. So it's a case of try it and see. Drainage would be key to success. If there is a moderate fall on the soil surface then that would help.

You need a thick geo-textile fabric, not just the thin weed barrier you tend to get from Wickes or Screw fix. I'm not sure of grades but do a bit of a search and see what's available,and who sells what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back