Driveway where house is lower than the street

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been trying to pick peoples brains about my house which is lower than the street/pavement. I havnt had much luck as of yet.I want to construct a driveway which will be 5.6mx4m.I have put in for planning permission.To run the surface water into the road i would have to raise the drive 1300mm.This would block out light into the front room.I wanted to run the water off the drive towards the house.The drive would be 1.5m away from the house.I have asked people about pea shingle but as i thought they have said its too big an area and would eventually cause problems as ground is clay.No drains to connect to.Nowhere to dig soakaway.Personally hate block paving so dont want permeable paving.

Sponsored Links
Just thought. Would it be ok to have it open all the way round so water runs off to the sides and the back.Then have 800mm all the way round the sides and 500mm nearest to the house left as soil and plant hedgerows.Would this be adequate drainage

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed to drain onto the road anyway. Your best option is a loose stone fill onto some form of matrix. e.g. a plastic honeycomb grid. That way you are not altering the existing natural surface drainage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back