Driving Licences and the US of A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know for certain the rules regarding driving in the States?

I have a full UK (European Communities Model) licence - Paper version.

What licence is required for driving in the states? Do I need a Photo version and is there an International type?

I don't wish to be lazy, but I could spend hours trawling through web sites etc. trying to find this info, but I'm certain some of you here have driven in the States and would know off hand.

OK, so maybe I'm a little lazy... :D

Sponsored Links
I went to the States 2 years ago, and a paper UK licence was fine then.

However, if I were you I would check with the US embassy in London.

See this website, scroll down to "Will my British driver's license be adequate for renting a car? "

Also, you will be hiring your car before you get there, so check with the hirecar company.

I went to the states last year, old style paper (i.e. not photo) license was fine. No problems whatsoever.

Passport rules have been tightened up significantly though - kids can no longer be included on parents passport. Not sure if this affects you, just thought I'd throw it in....

Paper is fine however you can get the photo id one free of charge if you are upgrading. Hire your car before travelling. Dont take the easy option and take the travel agents hire company. You can get better deals doing it yourself. Check out about driving in the states before you go. It is a little different to europe even though it is on the right. Things like turning right on a red light is ok if clear. ( But not in Manhatten!)

Sponsored Links
It is a little different to europe even though it is on the right. Things like turning right on a red light is ok if clear.

Yes, that one freaked me out! Also (in Florida at least) they have very bad manners at pedestrian crossings. It is as if they resent the idea of people walking somewhere, you can be crossing the road with a "WALK" sign lit up (how very literal!), and you will have some g*t nearly run you over in his Hummervrolet SUV. They are strangely polite to other motorists though. :confused:

Contrary to popular belief, undertaking on the motorway is in fact illegal in most US states (including Florida, where many Brits do their yanky driving)

And U-turns. They love U-turns. When you watch a 1980s movie or TV programme involving shady characters in a car, they always did a lot of u-turns. Seriously, next time The A-Team is on UK Gold, watch it. You will see a LOT of U-turns. It is very accurate though. They do u-turns everywhere. It's as if the roundabout had never been invented! It's dead easy to do because their idea of a minor road is about 8 lanes wide, but if you want to see roundabouts, you're heading to the wrong country bud. If you like roundabouts, try Hemel Hempstead, Harlow or Stevenage.

Oh, and if you see a Hooters bar, it is OK to go in with your wife. They keep their hooters covered. I went to two different ones to be certain. :evil:

When you go to pick your car up, they will try and sell you all sorts of insurance. Check what you are getting BEFORE you go out there, we had some donkey-hole try to sell us insurance we had already paid for. :LOL:

Back