Drywall gap advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings,
While working in my loft I have discovered something and I'd like to check it with the forum before I go ahead.
My house is a timber frame building. The loft is covered with glasswool but I can see a gap between the below ceiling and the main wall. This gap is covered by glasswool but it seems that it should be sealed as it takes straight to the gap between the plasterboard facing the rooms!!

Before I go ahead and seal it I just wanted to make sure it's not supposed to be there for <put a reason here>.
Attached a picture and also a little drawing to explain what I am talking about. The drawing is showing a massive gap, it's actually very small but I don't think it should be there anyway.

Thanks for your help!

insulation.PNG insulation3.PNG insulation2.PNG

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Anybody? Can I go ahead and seal the gaps?

Why not? I'm confident the sloppy builders haven't cared to make sure that rockwool is properly covering all those gaps... I feel there shouldn't be a gap to the inner wall - what's the purpose of the insulation then?

Sponsored Links
Go ahead and fill it.

Sloppy builders, lol! You tell them to plug all gaps - even those with insect mesh over them.

Don't be surprised if the Builders' Gestapo come round and remind you that leaving your front door open whilst carrying in your shopping is pretty sloppy too.(y)

not sure I get the joke and I didn't mean to be offensive. This is a 5y old house and the number of cut corners I've found and had to fix myself is incredible. That's why I'm pretty confident I may have some of those gaps exposed to open air.

Are you suggesting that this is a normal behaviour for a drywall? I am simply trying to assess whether there is a good reason for that gap (ventilation? mould prevention?)

Are you suggesting that this is a normal behaviour for a drywall? I am simply trying to assess whether there is a good reason for that gap (ventilation? mould prevention?)
Looks to me like the gap occurred because the truss clips were preventing the plasterboard from travelling all the way (10mm) to the wall plate.

could be - still, I would expect someone to seal them though.

Your expectations are well above what is supplied in modern day new build properties then. If a few gaps at hidden drywall junctions is all you have to worry about then be thankful. this really isn't the problem you're making it out to be.

Ok. I have clearly upset the community and I apologise for that, it wasn't my intention.

My question, though, stands and I would appreciate an input: is it safe to seal those gaps or are those there for a higher purpose? What I am going to achieve by doing that, is another story.

Cheers

If the dot'n'dab wall boards have been fitted correctly, there will be a continuous seal of adhesive along the top edge of the wall, somewhere about 50mm down it. This will seal it. Rockwool on top will keep it warm.

Nothing to worry about, most houses look like this, if you have blockwork walls they are never 100% straight, so gaps between them and the ceiling will be visible from the loft. But the plastering makes it sealed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back