Ear Today

Sponsored Links
Did you know that despite being used since the 1870s - no-one has a clue how paracetamol works or which system it affects.
Wasn't aware of that. Does anyone know what "pain" really is?
Well there's a programme on tonight regarding "pain" BBC1 19:30 - 20:00

How to Beat Pain
Health professionals Dr Jack Kreindler and Professor Greg Whyte present a light-hearted look at the science of pain. To reveal key facts about chronic back pain, osteoarthritis and other similar complaints - and how they can be treated - the duo become guinea pigs and hurt each other in a series of bizarre experiments

Surely that should have been on after the 9.00pm water-shed??? :eek:

Sub

From someone who's spent a lot of time in hospitals, has moderate hearing loss and tinnitus, here's to a speedy recovery!!

Sponsored Links
Part of my stapedectomy operation involved the surgeon (he's got his own website and such a lot of letters after his name!!!) taking a bit of vein from my hand to wrap around the prosthesis for my ear. Consequently I have a few stitches that need to come out of my hand at the end of the week.

The original ENT ward said go and ask the nurse at my GP to sort it out. So I called them and they said "no" - call the local community hospital and they'll do it. So I call them and they say "no" - call the main hospital where I had the op. So I called them and was put through initially to ENT, who said that they wouldn't do it. They then said "hold on" and patched me through to A&E who told me that they only deal with emergencies and as such only put stitches in. They told me to call the (not quite so close) walk in centre. which I have just done an persuaded them that a week on Monday was a bit too long to wait, so we booked it in for Friday instead!

For heaven's sake! :confused:

Take them out yourself......for heavens sake.
I would do quite happily, but I don't want to be told off by the powers that be, especially if the wound suddenly whipped open and sprayed the blood out unceasingly until the moment of my inexorable death. :LOL:

you won't have to worry about them telling you off then.

Has it worked subman???
Thanks for asking,

Well it was definitely loud when I woke up in the recovery room. Since then the ear packing, swelling and presumably the scabbing has made it pretty silent apart from popping when I swallow. All to be expected as one of the many "normal" scenarios. I remove the packing next Thursday (7th June) at which point my hearing should begin to improve. By all accounts it takes a few months to reach its final level which, if you watch the op on youtube is hardly surprising given what they do in the ear!

hardly surprising given what they do in the ear!
Me too! just got back from ear drum repaired, they couldn't do it from the canal route so made a incision cut behind the ear from top to bottom then flipping it forward to get at it :eek: Must admit they have done a very neat job and can hardly see it, I very surprised I only have very mild inner ear pain, not even enough for any painkillers yet :confused:

Me too! just got back from ear drum repaired, they couldn't do it from the canal route so made a incision cut behind the ear from top to bottom then flipping it forward to get at it :eek: Must admit they have done a very neat job and can hardly see it, I very surprised I only have very mild inner ear pain, not even enough for any painkillers yet :confused:
Give it a few days - the pain will kick in :) Did they give you pain relief tablets when they discharged you?

Hope the op worked - have they "packed" it?

Give it a few days - the pain will kick in :) Did they give you pain relief tablets when they discharged you?

Hope the op worked - have they "packed" it?
They put a new skin graft over the ear drum and behind the hammer it's temporary packed with dissolvable sponge to stop the hammer hitting the new drum, I've told them I already got painkillers at home, it's cheaper ;)

Sponsored Links
Back