Earth bonding on copper pipe has 'burned' chipboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick one - I've currently renovating my bathroom. In lifting some floorboards to move pipework, I noticed that one of the radiator pipes (15mm copper) has, unlike the other pipes, no got a proper earth strap. Instead, the earth wire core is just wrapped around this pipe, maybe ten times.

The pipes has been tight up against the underside of the floorboard (22mm chipboard) for since 1991 as far as I can tell.

My concern is that the board has a approx 2" circular burn (black mark) above this spot.

Should I be concerned?

Cheers in advance,

Tom

Sponsored Links
... the radiator pipes (15mm copper) has, unlike the other pipes, no got a proper earth strap. Instead, the earth wire core is just wrapped around this pipe, maybe ten times. ... The pipes has been tight up against the underside of the floorboard (22mm chipboard) for since 1991 as far as I can tell. ... My concern is that the board has a approx 2" circular burn (black mark) above this spot. ... Should I be concerned?
The 'wrapped around' wire is obviously not satisfactory (but quite possibly is not needed, anyway) and if the 'burn' were anything to do with it (which would seem extremely unlikely) you would have reason for being very concerned. However, are you sure that it's not something to do with a plumber and a blowlamp? (are there any soldered joints/couplings in the pipework nearby? Even if not, plumbers will often do bits of soldering on the backs of removed floorboards!)

On your side is the fact that if nothing dramatic has happened in 23 years, it's unlikley that it ever will!

Kind Regards, John

John,

I think you cracked it there - soldered joints within 6" of 'burn'. Cheers, surprised I didn't figure that one out myself!!

Cheers,

Tom

Sponsored Links
John, I think you cracked it there - soldered joints within 6" of 'burn'. Cheers, surprised I didn't figure that one out.
Fair enough - that could well be the explanation. However, as regards the 'wrapped around' wire, you really should get an electrician to ascertain whether bonding of that pipe is actually required and, if it is, get it done properly!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back