Easiest Way To Demolish Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to demolish the single skin wall at the front of my property

What is the easiest/quickest way to do the job?

SDS? and point chisel perhaps? Any other equipment

Will I have to make good after? e.g. leveling floor? If so, what's the best way?

Attachments

• brick wall.jpg
    brick wall.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 69
Sponsored Links
Depending on where you live, painting "I love Brexit" or "I love the EU" on it may get quick, easy results with no tools or effort.

Reactions: JBR
Take down the corner and the rest of the wall may fall as one.Take to foundation level and then back fill with shingle for simple job.

Take down the corner and the rest of the wall may fall as one.Take to foundation level and then back fill with shingle for simple job.
1.Take it down from the corner where I have circled in red?

2. Is a SDS and point chisel enough to get the job down.. or should I bring some other tools?

3. Is it best to attack the mortar joints or demolish the brick itself?

Attachments

• brick wall.jpg
    brick wall.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
No special tools needed. An SDS with chisel attachment should go through the mortar joints with ease. Or you could use a lump hammer and bolster chisel if you feel like a bit of arm swinging. To help prevent trips and falls I suggest you stack the bricks a little away from the working area as you remove them. Nothing worse than having to stand without a firm stance when using power tools. It will also keep the work area clear for when you get down to the bottom courses.

No special tools needed. An SDS with chisel attachment should go through the mortar joints with ease. Or you could use a lump hammer and bolster chisel if you feel like a bit of arm swinging. To help prevent trips and falls I suggest you stack the bricks a little away from the working area as you remove them. Nothing worse than having to stand without a firm stance when using power tools. It will also keep the work area clear for when you get down to the bottom courses.
You weren't kidding.. The SDS & chisel bit went through the mortar like a hot knife, through butter. :mrgreen:

Your advice about stacking the bricks away and keeping the work area clear was absolutely brilliant too.

The advice came in super handy.

Use tools like a hammer, pry bar, and reciprocating saw to demolish your wall quickly.

A club hammer and some gentle taps.

Blup

I found that removing plaster first makes things easier, unless it's newish plaster properly stuck to bricks.
Sds and 4 inch chisel for plaster, then sds and 3 inch chisel for bricks, starting from top and following horizontal mortar lines.
If you have a door/window opening it's easier to remove lintel and bricks above it and start from there.

The OP was knocking down a front garden wall and has now completed the task.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back