Easy plug wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An easy way to remember how to wire a plug. When the top of the plug is removed and you are looking into the plug, the wiring should be as so
Blue/Left = both have 4 letters
Brown/Right = Both have 5 letters.
Simple but effective.

Sponsored Links
I'm old enough to remember the change to harmonised colours for flex.

At the time the aide-memoire touted was "Blooo Noootral".

I feel like I've done so much wiring recently I don't really see brown or red wires, I just see live.

Sponsored Links
Blue has an L in, and Brown has an N. And then it's the other way round from that. That's how I remember it - Simple.....

Blue/Left = both have 4 letters
Brown/Right = Both have 5 letters.
Simple but effective.
That reminds me of how I was taught to remember port/starboard and the corresponding navigation light colours...
Port = Left (both 4-letter words) and port is a red drink
Starboard = Right (both longer words) and, not being red/port, the light is green!

Kind Regards, John

Isn't there a (relatively) large fuse next to the L connector?

I think if you can't remember (i.e. know) how to wire a plug you should be doing something else.

Isn't there a (relatively) large fuse next to the L connector?
I believe that there usually is. However, that in itself does not tell one which colour conductor to connect to it. Nevertheless, as you say ...
I think if you can't remember (i.e. know) how to wire a plug you should be doing something else.

Kind Regards, John

I've always remembered it since secondary school since I found it odd that blue is neutral (when I think of brown as a neutral shade) and that brown is live (when I think of blue as the 'colour' of electricity)...

I guess they did this red to brown since in low light or with colour blindness they could be confused? No idea!

Why did they change from red and black - and where on earth did they pluck blue and brown from?

but if you're right handed, you obviously hold the steering board under your right arm, which means you have to dock the boat on the left, to avoid damaging it.

If you are POSH then you employ a manservant to fit plugs on cables for you.

Port Out Starboard Home when sailing across the Atlantic meant you had a cabin facing the sunny south ( if home was in the UK )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back