eathing

The rod just hammer it into the ground- put the clamp on first though!

CHECK that the main supply cable is not routed where you are putting the rod and also pipes. If your not sure about whats beneath the soil do not instal the rod there.

Sponsored Links
can you guys see the sub main pic on her not sure if i have done it correctly thin they may be im my album.

your right i don't think he was a sparky but probably the easyst £100 he earned that year lol.

you will have to forgive my ignorance on this matter i have heard that i was not so common practice to use the main incoming water as the earthing but with united utilitys using plastic pipes now its not the done thing but as i only have until thursday i was looing far a quick tempry fix.

i can see now that it isnt going to happen, i really don't want to put a rod in and turn it into a TT system if i don't have too.

i don't have an overhead supply which i believe is most common with TT systems and they are not as reliable.

also looing at the cu unit i see that they put the bonding in the earthing block and screwed the earth to the outside of the CU and didn't even link it to the earth busbar which i think is common practice even 3 years ago.

turning into a nightmare i think haha

Sponsored Links
can you guys see the sub main pic
No submain, but what can be seen is an old cast iron cutout which isn't sealed closed, and undersized poorly terminated tails. There is no earth connection.

you will have to forgive my ignorance on this matter i have heard that i was not so common practice to use the main incoming water as the earthing
It was - half a century ago.

The plan is to install a 17th ed board
for my portfolio he will take pictures of me installing and testing and commission so he wont be looing at the earthing
So you will be installing a new consumer unit, with an assessor there, and yet the total lack of any earth connection isn't considered to be a problem?

but as i only have until thursday i was looing far a quick tempry fix.
i really don't want to put a rod in and turn it into a TT system
Unbelievable.

Does this NVQ actually require any competence in anything? Or is it just an exercise in collecting a folder full of spurious pictures and forms with all of the boxes ticked?

i think you are reading into it a bit to much this is the first time i have even looked at my cut off and it would have been a good place to do a board change as my house needs it obviously!! and it would be free for me and i get some pictures for my portfolio but i can do this at a customers house with a fully qualified electrician. i am not trying to say that doing this makes me an electrician as i have already said this is all a learning process for me NOT just ticking boxes.

i started the portfolio in may and it will take 2 years to complete so i have a lot to learn yet aswell as the 3 years at college im doing at the same time so if im not completely sure of some things im very sorry.

i have only come on here to find a few things out and get the jump on the guys that will turn up.

but if it cant have a new board fitted then it cant and thats ok!! But what im trying to say is if you came to this situation what would you do what procedure would you follow

you will have to forgive my ignorance on this matter i have heard that i was not so common practice to use the main incoming water as the earthing
Actually it was, but that was a long time ago.

i really don't want to put a rod in and turn it into a TT system if i don't have too.
Why should you?

If it isn't supposed to be a TT supply now, why would you have to turn it into one?

You seem sure that it has an earth:
at the moment it does have an eath
and as you don't want to turn it into a TT system you must be sure that it's a TN- right now.
TN-C-S, or TN-S?
Can't tell from the photos.

i don't have an overhead supply which i believe is most common with TT systems and they are not as reliable.
WTF?

also looing at the cu unit i see that they put the bonding in the earthing block and screwed the earth to the outside of the CU and didn't even link it to the earth busbar which i think is common practice even 3 years ago.
WTF?

turning into a nightmare i think haha
Seems like a bad dream from here.

do you just pound the rodin the ground??
it will not be carrying any current in the future i hope so i will never need it tutch wood lol
Unbelievable.

I am about to do my NVQ 3
What exactly are the prerequisites for that?

The plan is to install a 17th ed board n test it
With no earth?

That's going to go well, isn't it.

as im a practising operative
Unbelievable.

the guy i work with will be watching and providing the cirt.
For an installation with no earth?

Dream on.

for my portfolio he will take pictures of me installing and testing and commission so he wont be looing at the earthing
Dream on.

just would be good to have it sorted b4 i change the board.
What would be even better would be for you to acquire some basic knowledge and competence before diving into CU replacements.

the assessor would just be taking pictures not really testing me
Dream on.

Do you know what the word "assessment" actually means?

What exactly are the prerequisites for the NVQ3?

jesus guys i think your all really missing the point instead of picking holes out of my questions you could give some positive advise instead of trying to make yourselves look superior with your electrical knowledge.

This is not about an NVQ its just circumstances around the board change.

it does have an eath but its wrapped round a incoming water main and crewed to the outside of the cu with no link to the earth block..

the bonding is in the earth block but main earth is screwed to the cu...

I am very new at this and some things i am only just learning but AGAIN CU aside!!!! what would you do with the earthing would you put in rod or have the cut out replaced. or is there a way to incorp the earth into the cutout??? im sure someone is on here who isn't just out to look like mr big balls who nows everything and could actually have some good advice..

just looked through a few of the comments some of you have put on other peoples posts, guys you should chill out a bit you didn't start life knowing everything

and remember the guy who installed this called himself a electrician and he could have been any one of you.

I wont be installing the CU it will be a qualified electrician and i will be assisting so calm down guys

cmossom, what is your first language? Is it English?

Please don't carry out any electrical work, you may put yourself and others at risk.

You should not be opening that service head, it might kill you.

Some of the things you have said are very odd for someone with an assessment coming up.

If you were able to demonstrate that you have a grasp of assessing the supply characteristics before posting on here then I believe you might enjoy a much more positive response to your enquiries.

No one on here (or not many) are against people enquiring about anything, how ever, People are bound to shy away from advising someone that may cause a danger to themselves or others by their actions. It is no about bigging oneself up it is an attempt to ensure that what is being advised is advisable.

its done had it fitted today thanks for all your help or lack of!!

and for those who thought i was doing it myself and think i don't have a clue i am still learning and im sure you guys was there once as well i just wanted some advice i thought that an earth rod was the logical and easy solution TO GET AN EARTH... which is the question i was asking.

My first language is english and the person who asked this is very racist i am white english born and bread and so is my family (all of them except the irish)

Im not very good at getting my point across and some of the jargon used is not my strong point i have a memory like a gold fish.

Any way thanks for your HELP and advice

NVQ3 on the way I know you guys hate the thought of that hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha see you on site xx

its done had it fitted today thanks for all your help or lack of!!

and for those who thought i was doing it myself and think i don't have a clue i am still learning and im sure you guys was there once as well i just wanted some advice i thought that an earth rod was the logical and easy solution TO GET AN EARTH... which is the question i was asking.

My first language is english and the person who asked this is very racist i am white english born and bread and so is my family (all of them except the irish)
Why do you think the question was racist?
Im not very good at getting my point across and some of the jargon used is not my strong point i have a memory like a gold fish.
Thats not great if you wish to become an Electrician one day, there are lots of things that you will need to remember, some jargon, some common sense.
Any way thanks for your HELP and advice
Its a pleasure
NVQ3 on the way I know you guys hate the thought of that hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha see you on site xx
what makes you think anybody here hates that? Concerned, worried - yes, 'hate' - no

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back