Ebay Sale

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Buyer bid for and won item. Buyer wants to pick up and pay cash.

Buyer did not check before bidding if this was acceptable. I am very wary of this and want payment by PP and to post it out by tracked, signature on delivery service.

Buyer wants item ASAP. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some say not to do it, but why not?
Meet him somewhere nearby if you don't want a stranger at your house.

I have collected before now but after agreeing it was ok before bidding.

Just make sure it is cash and don't let them pay by PayPal and collect.

How would I complete the sale on ebay if via cash?

It's a food chopper and it's £13.

Sponsored Links
I'm not too sure, it's changed since I last sold anything.

There was a scam whereby the buyer would offer cash on collection then at the last minute they'd have an excuse that they couldn't collect in person and would send someone to collect but to put your mind at rest they'd pay(by PayPal)upfront. The item would be collected and then the buyer would open a dispute that the item was not sent. The seller would have no proof that the item was collected and the buyer would get a refund.

Though I doubt this will happen over a £13 food chopper. :)

Ditto - I doubt it would be worth it for something so small. But it would be a good idea to keep copies of the e-mail exchange, and in a situation such as paying by PayPal and collecting, to have whoever collects the item (buyer or agent) sign a receipt.

That's wot I'm bovvered about. I'm gonna email her and tell her I'll send it.

If she doesn't want it, I'll offer it to the next in line.

I don't like strangers coming to my home to pick stuff up. They always seem to have eyes everywhere, they turn up late, and in at least one case start to haggle when they're there. I'd honestly rather give stuff to someone I know!

I've bought and sold a few things where the sales have been collected and paid in cash. Anything from a gas torch up to a classic car. Never a problem. Isn't that how most used items were sold privately before the interweb? Not a problem with Ebay, you don't need to complete the sale - just leave it as it is. Ebay have got their fees for the sale and you gain by not having to pay a cut to Paypal, which can eat into the payment for item.

Can't see that anyone's going to scam you for a thirteen quid food chopper.

But if there was an issue and she went back to ebay for resolution?

What about asking for payment by paypal then she picks up and signs a receipt?

I don't understand why she is having such a problem paying in the normal way. Anyone who buys online knows they have to pay online. If she doesn't have a bank account, get a friend to buy it.

Sponsored Links
Back