Economy 7 socket to socket circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wondering if you could help me understand what's going on here and give me an idea of what the options are.

My friend's only Economy 7 storage heater was removed several years ago. Last year the electricity board said they had to update the meters and because she doesn't use Economy 7 any more they disconnected the cable and just left the one meter. It's a one bedroom house which has an old style fuseboard with four fuses - lights, sockets, immersion and cooker. There's also a separate MCB for a shower.

Have attached photos to give you an idea of the current set up. The E7 unit to the left of the fuseboard is disconnected (cable is hanging in the second photo), the one to the right is the shower. I did wonder if the two red cables into the meter were both circuits but the E7 socket is definitely dead.

My friend would like to use the old storage heater socket as a normal socket. I'm guessing an electrician will say it needs a new CU so the cost of bringing the old socket into play starts to become a bit steep. Would they/could they connect the E7 circuit in to the current fuseboard? She has a gas cooker so the electric one isn't used. Or could the E7 cable be connected to the socket circuit as a spur? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Connections 2.JPG
    Connections 2.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Cabling.JPG
    Cabling.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
The E7 board's tails could be connected to the same supply as the other boards, via an RCD.

Then you would have to change the accessories for sockets.

Thanks. What do you mean by 'changing the accessories for sockets' - do you mean swapping the switched fused spur for a plug socket?

Yes, sorry. I didn't twig there was only one. Are the other ways in the E7 board occupied with fuses/ cables?

Sponsored Links
There are two - one for the storage heater and I also hadn't twigged that there's a cable connected to the switched fused socket for the E7 immersion heater.

Thanks. What do you mean by 'changing the accessories for sockets' - do you mean swapping the switched fused spur for a plug socket?
The storage heaters won't have been plugged in - their old outlet plates and/or switches will need changing to sockets.

By the way, I assume the RCD work is notifiable and not something a competent DIYer could do ?

I'd say not notifiable, but it would need testing which is outwith the scope of most DIYers.

PBOD

Are you weighing up consolidating all those circuits in a nice shiny Amd 3 board?

Not for me, it's my friend's house but it will depend on the cost of fitting an RCD versus the cost of a new CU. What's PBOD?

EDIT - sorry, I now realise the question wasn't directed at me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back