Efficient way to fit in a new bathroom suite and tiling. Help and advice needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I am in the process of fully refurbishing my upstairs bathroom, with a new suite. All of which shall be put into the same place due to the space restriction. Below is my current bathroom & floor plan which you can tell is a small bathroom.

I would like the new bath, basin cabinet & toilet to be in the same place and for new controls to be installed as a concealed thermostatics on the wall and for the new bath to have an overflow bath filler, as opposed to taps. And above the bath on the wall to have a concealed shower head.

Ideally, new pipes would have to be run up the wall for the concealed kit (Thermostats & shower head), additionally to the bathroom overflow filler. Though everything else should be easily attached without any major pipework changes.

Ultimately I just want to get the bathroom suite done in the cheapest efficient/effective way possibly professionally. Sadly I have had 4 bathroom fitters in and all have quoted me above £3000 - £4500 just for labour fitting the suite in and tiling the walls and floors. Disposal of the old bathroom would go in my skip which is on my driveway.

On reviewing my pictures and dimensions below, how much do you guys think I should be paying? bearing in that this is for labour only not for the bathroom suite or fittings etc.. I will be supplying these.

I was thinking just calling a plumber in to put the new bathroom, toilet, basin cabinet and thermostatic valve. Then have a tiler to do the flooring, walls and electrician etc..basically guys from different trades to carry out the works individually.

I have carried out this rule of thumb through my home reno and have found it cheaper as opposed to having one person carry out a job. Sadly bathroom fitters, in my opinion, are too pricey.

I am now thinking of just hiring individual people and carrying out the bathroom refurb in the following order below.

1)Remove bathroom suite Dispose of - in skip. (plumber)
2)Remove tiles (I will do this or a tiler)
3)Replace window in external wall (joiner who I know)
4)install ventilation (electrician who I can bring in)
5)plaster everything (plasterer)
6)install new suite & thermostatic kit (plumber)
7)Tile (I'm a tiler and can do this)
8)install lights (electrician who I can bring in)

Is this order correct and your thoughts, please? thanks to all in advance.

below are the photos, the red circle on the second photo is a guide as to where I would like my concealed thermostatic placement and overhead shower head, I may need a slight extra partition in order to centre this nicely on the left side of the window. This shall be done when I order the new window which will then be smaller and fitted.

rfxzcKY.png

cfmEVaP.jpg

vUNgVAm.jpg

KripEM4.jpg

jWRLYlX.jpg

tCP3HbL.jpg

e8pAPGL.jpg

LeEF7Qo.jpg

NTPKDj4.jpg

oNbfMLO.jpg

Thanks to all in advance.

Sponsored Links
Your quotes sound about right to me given the work involved. You might or might not save £500 getting separate trades in but it will certainly take longer and would be a ton of hassle. There will certainly be some work involved to ascertain where one trade starts and another finishes. It could cost you more. I would pay for one tradesman. That said if you are a good tiler you will be looking at every single imperfection with the tiling which most people would probably overlook every time you sit on the bog if you don't do the tiling yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back