EICR fail

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Tell them it (the EICR) is not relevant and ask them if they want the job or not.
They will not take the job until I come up with the goodies. This is the reason I have time to play with the cheapo EICR assessor.

It might have something to do with the type of property. The buy to let would need/want EICR.

They will not take the job until I come up with the goodies
Other agents are available.

EICRs are not required, Neither is any other documentation for electrical, plumbing, structure or anything else.
The presence of such things may assist in selling depending on circumstances. Or they may be completely worthless.

EICRs are not required, Neither is any other documentation for electrical, plumbing, structure or anything else.
EPC is required.

Changing a light isn't a big deal. So, I will do that and get a new EICR from another assessor. £200 inclusive of the light is OK.

An estate agent would insist on an EICR. So, it is not optional.
That sounds like an estate agent who should be avoided like the plague. In my experience, most estate agents are sufficiently keen on getting work (hence commission) that they don't impose any such 'requirements'.

In the case of virtually ANY sort of inspection, be it an EICR, a structural survey or whatever, it is down to a prospective buyer to decide whether they want one and, if so, to arrange and pay for it to be done. As far as I am aware, the only exception is an EPC but, if I understand correctly, in terms of selling properties, the law is silly, in as much as it is is satisfied by the existence of a valid EPC, no matter 'how bad' it indicates the 'Energy Performance' to be (it's different for renting, since I believe that it is not permitted to rent out a property with an EP of 'F' or 'G').

Kind Regards, John

EPC is required.
As I've just written, yes, an EPC is 'required' in order to sell a property but, as I understand it, it does not matter what that EPC says - i.e. there is no question of it forcing one to undertake 'remedial work'.

Kind Regards, John

EPC is required.

Changing a light isn't a big deal. So, I will do that and get a new EICR from another assessor. £200 inclusive of the light is OK.
Even without the light a competent periodic inspection is likely to cost well in excess of £200.

Bathroom light if within the area 0.6 meters around the bath or shower and under 2.25 meters from floor should be IPX4 to comply with BS 7671 and also either all needs to be earth bonded or RCD protected, but an EICR is not simply following BS 7671 that requirement was dropped it was code 4 now the inspector is only required to code as C1 = dangerous, C2 = potentially dangerous, C3 = improvements recommended so it is not simply good enough to say does not comply, one must show how it is potentially dangerous.

Unlike an MOT the EICR does not need re-doing after any remedial work, the minor works certificate will show it has been done where records are required, but if not rental you don't need the records, your not even forced to fix it.

I would say many bathrooms have pendent lights which today don't comply with the regulations, but that does not make them potentially dangerous, it does not matter what sort of cover goes over a light, it needs to be removed for maintenance, and in the main we will not change a light bulb while standing in a bath of water or having a shower, technically we can touch the fitting, but in real terms we would change a bulb with light switched off with dry hands, so the potentially danger only exists where we have people who are behaving silly, so as to the IPX4 rating it would not worry me too much.

As to lack of RCD protection, today yes I want all circuits RCD protected, but it is for most homes secondary protection as they have a TN supply, only with a TT supply (using earth rods) would I be worried about correcting with any speed.

There could of course be another reason for the C2, lack of earth wires for example, my parents old house, built before 1966 had no earth wires to the lights, but in 1954 we were using rubber insulated cables and that was more of a worry.

As to an EIC they are not required, what is required for some work is the compliance or completion certificate, only the person doing the work can issue an electrical installation certificate, and where the work is being inspected by the LABC they do not issue an EIC only the completion certificate, this is documented in the approved documents detailing what is required to comply with Part P.

Yes I would expect a minor works or installation certificate to be raised, but they are not required.

Last edited:
Even without the light a competent periodic inspection is likely to cost well in excess of £200.
For £60, the guy seemed competent enough. He had a big box of tools and a ladder. I still haven't got the formal EICR yet. I may not have to pay. The light fail seems valid. The problem wasn't him, but a set up by the house builder. Little tricks like this is obvious as soon as you see it.

For £60, the guy seemed competent enough. He had a big box of tools and a ladder. I still haven't got the formal EICR yet. I may not have to pay. The light fail seems valid. The problem wasn't him, but a set up by the house builder. Little tricks like this is obvious as soon as you see it.
We charge £300 minimum for a domestic periodic exclusive of remedial work as realistically it takes up the day to do. £60 is a nonsense price for it.

It's coming up to a month since the EICR inspection. Still, there is no formal EICR and no demand for payment. From this I can deduce a couple of things: 1- electrician costs £60 and issuing a report costs £60; 2- The EICR is a guaranteed fail in order for them to recover their costs. Good job they chose a fault that is DIYable.

The final cost to me is £40. £20 for a new light that wouldn't have worked, and £20 for a new light that did work. Overall, I am satisfied with the EICR. Although, I don't need one any more. I found an estate agent that doesn't need an EICR.

It's coming up to a month since the EICR inspection. Still, there is no formal EICR and no demand for payment. From this I can deduce a couple of things: 1- electrician costs £60 and issuing a report costs £60; 2- The EICR is a guaranteed fail in order for them to recover their costs. Good job they chose a fault that is DIYable.

The final cost to me is £40. £20 for a new light that wouldn't have worked, and £20 for a new light that did work. Overall, I am satisfied with the EICR. Although, I don't need one any more. I found an estate agent that doesn't need an EICR.
You can't be satisfied with it. £60 is dogshit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back