EICR follow up

From your picures, it would appear that the lighting circuit is earthed (at least the one photographed). Interesting red/red cable on the switch. Don't remember seeing that on "older" installs.
The cracked sockets should have been noted on the EICR, so should lack of sleeving on the earth wires on that socket.
My guess the MEM board is the original from when the house was built - there may be a manufactore date on it, somewhere.
Hopefully all cable is PVC/PVC so should be good for a while yet, assuming the IR figures are OK (will see from the PDF).

Sponsored Links
Interesting red/red cable on the switch. Don't remember seeing that on "older" installs.
It was always used here when wiring with T&E. Twin red or twin brown cable certainly isn't a new thing. (In fact the Wiring Regulations state a preference for conductors being identifiable throughout their length.)

And the cables running from them to that metal isolator look rather undersized, as does the bit of T & E coming out the top of it (all only protected by the main supply fuse). Be interested to see what the EICR has to say about them :)

Thats a metal switchfuse and contains a "Fuse" looks like a 60a max rated job.
It was quite common to feed these with smaller Double Insulated tails, and was quite common to see as small as 6mm Double insulated, feeding the 30 amp version, bunched in with the henley blocks.

Sponsored Links
I would say most of that is the original install. I'd date it as somewhere between 1966-1971. Perhaps the house is late, rather than mid 60's?

There are additions though. and that newer board is indeed 1990s (but its not clear if its is supplying new circuits that were installed at the time, or just a replacement for an older board) , the older re-wirable one appears to be original. (these were used quite a bit into the 70's, but must have been around in the 60s as well)

http://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/old_equipment/mem_fusebox_4way_metal.cs4

If that because you haven't done much housebashing in the last 12 years :D

I would say most of that is the original install. I'd date it as somewhere between 1966-1971. Perhaps the house is late, rather than mid 60's?

There are additions though. and that newer board is indeed 1990s (but its not clear if its is supplying new circuits that were installed at the time, or just a replacement for an older board) , the older re-wirable one appears to be original. (these were used quite a bit into the 70's, but must have been around in the 60s as well)

http://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/old_equipment/mem_fusebox_4way_metal.cs4

I agree with Adam. I estimate a similar age.

If that's a 60s house (as the op estimates) then the wiring is original. The surveyors estimation that the wiring is only 25 years old is totally wrong.

There was an extension added 1997. Survey said approx 1966 for house age, but 1966-1971 prob a good bet.
All lighting switches and ceiling roses that I looked at had an earth.

I'll upload the EICR tomorrow. Not had much joy today converting PDF to word, so will just print, markup and rescan.

'no RCD protection for sockets and circuits contained in a bathroom'.
If you insert a comma, the meaning changes slightly

'no RCD protection for sockets, and circuits contained in a bathroom'.

Split down:

General purpose sockets with no RCD protection: C3
Sockets reasonably expected to supply equipment outdoors* with no RCD: C2
Bathroom circuits with no RCD: C3

*The NICEIC generally advise that this applies to all ground floor sockets in a domestic property

It wouldn't have been a satisfactory conclusion if I'd done the inspect and test!

I disagree about the comma. With a comma there it is incomplete and doesn't make sense.
Anyway, you cannot have 'no'...'and'

It should be:
"no RCD protection for sockets nor circuits contained in a bathroom"
but that would be expecting too much. :)

I could only see 1 board the mem rewirable one

You know what... I could have sworn I saw a Memra 2000 board with 60898 breakers as a separate picture, which I assumed was located elsewere and fed from that switchfuse. I've looked again and its not there, so I am going daft!

There are two: the MEM one and the one above.

I have seen twin red in many 60's installs, my previous and my father's houses included.

I will concur that in my estimation, the original install dates to around 1968.

As for the accessories that have been "missed", aren't only a percentage of them examined?

Is your house in the SK postcode area? I'm sure I have visited it during the years 2005-12!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back