eicr form

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
taking over another sparks eicr form as he has walked...actually a good report seems well done but loads of minor codes ...over 40 items and i start to wonder if he was chasing money...there was lots i would give a code but as its a dated cottage no real action where as hes been doing very minor codes..its a bit like every time you have to be rewired case....anyway 1 i thought i would throw to the forum is they have a selection of wall lights ..wooden base and arm wired with flex..no sign of any heat etc..granted take the bulb out you could put your fingers in but thats the case with many older fittings....he has made them change them all at great cost to brass...am i missing something...what would you guys do /recommend or code as it seems really expensive and un needed in my view

Sponsored Links
Is the issue he's highlighting access to live parts? What code has he given it?

Has he mentioned any regulations breached?

he has given it a c2 yet no investigation needed and a comment wall lights not made to bsen 60598 standards...client has brought now all brass fittings at great cost ..its a niceic domestic installer and i admit a intense but over the top in my opinion report...like all proplems either c2 or c3 yet he gives no con unit blanks a c1 and unsatisfactory report..i would have just put a couple in...cables too much outer sheath removed in ceiling rose ...c2...it seems every little thing has been pulled up yet although grade what you find i would never make all the non new regs items have to be done ...its advice as i see it not this is gonna cost you a fortune ....also although he has done a eicr he has given a installation certificate on his amended works yet dated the next inspection as 3 weeks....am i missing a point here!!!! or is he just a sector money grabber !!

Strictly speaking, you are just meant to report on what is there, not fix any issues.

I must admit, I am thorough. I mention visible single insulated conductors and such-like.

What's he given an install cert for?

Sponsored Links
Oh, yeah. Missed that one....

Yes, IP breach, access to live parts, deffo C1 IMO.

i admit no blanks c1 but hey i would just pop a couple in and not bother recording it...but wall lights access to live part ? well do you then not get that in most light fittings if we take the bulbs out...are you saying you really grade items like this c1..christ if so you must fail any pre 2000 dwelling...i am talking about the wall lights as i agree with the blanks though petty and i would never fail it just sort it ...i mean its about 30 pence

i admit no blanks c1 but hey i would just pop a couple in and not bother recording it...but wall lights access to live part ? well do you then not get that in most light fittings if we take the bulbs out...are you saying you really grade items like this c1..christ if so you must fail any pre 2000 dwelling...i am talking about the wall lights as i agree with the blanks though petty and i would never fail it just sort it ...i mean its about 30 pence

what if you found unsheathed supply conductors, or an immersion heater cable entering a jb with a little bit of copper showing which would only take ten minutes to sort out? What if there was a cracked ceiling rose home office skirt which only took three minutes?

i admit no blanks c1 but hey i would just pop a couple in and not bother recording it..
I personally would have made you aware of this non-conformity and if I had some suitable blanks would have fitted them, I guess a lot would do the same, but the EICR is a report on the existing set up, not a find and repair carry on.
but wall lights access to live part ? well do you then not get that in most light fittings if we take the bulbs out...are you saying you really grade items like this c1..christ if so you must fail any pre 2000 dwelling...i am talking about the wall lights as i agree with the blanks though petty and i would never fail it just sort it ...i mean its about 30 pence
If there was access to live parts and the wall light did not conform to the expected protection ratings, then it must be coded accordingly.
You cannot expect the inspector to mend anything that is coded, they could be there for days!!!!!
Then when the bill comes in for the remedial work, how willing would most home-owners be to cough up the readies, without documented evidence of the systems failings?

It might be that the original spark did this long list of defects, and then sold the owner the need to fix them all - like (anecdotally) BGs "scare a granny" sales tactics if anything is "not to current standards".

So as I see it here there are several issues.

Firstly, were all the defects justified/correct ?
Secondly, is rectification of the issues justified ?
Thirdly, did the owner properly understand what they were being sold ?

If there are defects, and the owner agrees to having them fixed, then fixing them would be the correct thing to do. The fixing part would then be a seaprate job to the testing/inspection part.

sadly as sometimes happens on here i said i would not bother putting up a code for a few blanks..thats all..and its made to be something else of which i never mentioned....on the report it is as always as each spark sees it...i agree with a lot of it but have not had time to see what was said or what the arrangement was to the defects as so many are minor....the point i was firstly making is what wall light can you not touch the pins if no bulb was present and surely that does not mean they have to be changed..also remember the only c1 was the blanks missing and the whole sheet deemed unsatisfactory....also in my 35 years i have never known a installation sheet to be given on his remedials only and dated next inspection 3 weeks....what did the client get for the money...very little as i see it.....so going back to the wall lights do not most of b&q lights fail in this guys opinion...

So would you still not report and c1 it if you did not have any spare blanks?
Maybe he didn't have any with him and he has done the right thing, if he didn't report it and left it up to the householder to sort out then what is the chance that it would still be like that in 10 years time (assuming no one got electrocuted in the meantime)?
Haven't really got a clue on the lamp fittings, can you post a pic? From what you have written I'm thinking they are some sort of DIY made up things?

sadly as sometimes happens on here i said i would not bother putting up a code for a few blanks..thats all..and its made to be something else of which i never mentioned.....

You mentioned
yet he gives no con unit blanks a c1 and unsatisfactory report..

And it's a code one in my book, therefore can only be unsatisfactory.

Why so sad?
What is the something that you never mentioned?

i do not need people telling me its a code 1...i am just saying i would not have bothered and sorted it unless of course i had none...but mastic and plastic it would be rare i could not just sort missing blanks...i doubt theres a sparkys van out there that could not sort missing blanks....the wall lights are typical brought 60s type...wooden base a like a small envelope with wooden arm to a fixed brass lampholder......getting back to the real issue and not forgetting i have not asked the client as yet what was said....but why if no sign of any fault or heat would you even code it as every light you buy seems the same to me except metal or plastic....my point is an this was via niceic...if you have a lighting circuit with no cpc as long as they have no metal fittings and a sticker on the board you can not make them rewire the circuit.....so where does he think these wall lights fall foul as like i said they all must do at homebase & b&q etc

i do not need people telling me its a code 1...i am just saying i would not have bothered and sorted it unless of course i had none...but mastic and plastic it would be rare i could not just sort missing blanks...i doubt theres a sparkys van out there that could not sort missing blanks....the wall lights are typical brought 60s type...wooden base a like a small envelope with wooden arm to a fixed brass lampholder......getting back to the real issue and not forgetting i have not asked the client as yet what was said....but why if no sign of any fault or heat would you even code it as every light you buy seems the same to me except metal or plastic....my point is an this was via niceic...if you have a lighting circuit with no cpc as long as they have no metal fittings and a sticker on the board you can not make them rewire the circuit.....so where does he think these wall lights fall foul as like i said they all must do at homebase & b&q etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back