EICR Report Help

Sponsored Links
Cannot see any mention of 'green slime', what it does say is 'Poor condition of wiring, greening of cables in C/U and multiple socket outlets. No earth bonding to gas and water present. No CPC to multiple lighting points. Neutral
conductor for ring final circuit has no continuity of conductors'.

Or 'greening of cables in consumer unit'. that could be that the copper has suffered verdigris, or that green sleeving has been used, instead of green/yellow - anyone's guess. Without an actual quote detailing what he plans to do, it would be impossible to say whether it is good or bad value.
Post number 9 tells us 'green slime'.

That report about as good as a chocolate fire guard.
Compatibility of protective devices, bases and other components; correct type and rating (No signs of unacceptable thermal damage, arcing or overheating)
One would guess the make or type of MCB or RCBO is not same as consumer unit? But that in its self is not a reason for a Code C2.

411.4; 411.5; 411.6;
Is TN, TT, and IT it can't possibly be all, had the numbers not involved been crossed out, then OK, but this is what I mean by chocolate fire guard.

So let us look at basics. Code C2 = Potentially Dangerous (FAIL) not does not comply with any edition of wiring regulations, that was code 4 which has been discontinued. The only item which would possibly pass with BS 7671:1992 and fail with BS 7671:2018 is RCD and bonding in a bathroom, the addition of the RCD allowed the removal of bonding so it is one or the other. (701.411.3.3) which he gives Code C3 for.

There have been some new products which can change things however, EV charging, solar panels are main ones, but LED lighting and inverter powered washing machines and freezers do raise questions to if an installation which passed in 1992 when BS 7671 came out should fail today if nothing has been altered or degraded.

The FI meter tails are part of the IET list of what should be checked with an EICR, however they are excluded from the list in new landlord laws in England.

But
Concealed cables installed in prescribed zones
may well have not been complied with, however unless it actually says where, an electrician would need to do the EICR all over again in order to know where the fail was seen.

It does seem some suspect cables have been used, and the plasticiser has leached out. (green grunge) to correct would require a rewire, so the inspector needs to decide if this is likely to cause insulation to crack, in Australia this nearly bankrupted Woolworths where they were told they needed to pay for cables to be changed, after importing faulty cables from China.

As to RCD protection,
Google said:
BS 3036 semi-enclosed fuses, more commonly known as rewireable fuses, they are still recognised in BS 7671. They may be provided for new installations and may continue to be used in existing installations.
So would guess old Wylex fuse box fuse-box-1.jpg so can't really add RCD protection. As the Electrical safety council says they are not automatic fail, personally I would not want to live in a home without RCD protection, a fusebox 8 module consumer unit with 4 RCBO will cost around £100, and ½ day to fit, the Presence of supplementary bonding conductors, unless not required by BS 7671:2018 (701.415.2) would be satisfied with new consumer unit. Provision of fire barriers, sealing arrangements and protection against thermal effects (Section 527) I will assume some down lights, so not corrected by new consumer unit is likely.

Concealed cables installed in prescribed zones (see Section D. Extent and limitations) (522.6.202) and
Poor condition of wiring, greening of cables in C/U and multiple socket outlets.
That is the worrying bit, as may need a rewire.

£700 when a new EICR will cost around £200 is likely a good deal, even if you could wangle out of fitting new consumer unit, would you want to? But would not use that inspector again.

In summary, it's an early 1970s installation that should have been replaced a long time ago.

Early 1970s seems to match most of what we see, but the 2.5 has a 1.5 cpc (and end to ends on the ring back this up), I think it was about 1980 it aquired a 1.5 cpc?, early 70s I would most likely ecxpect to see 2.5+1 or if very early even 7/029+3/036

Sponsored Links
Early 1970s seems to match most of what we see, but the 2.5 has a 1.5 cpc (and end to ends on the ring back this up), I think it was about 1980 it aquired a 1.5 cpc?, early 70s I would most likely ecxpect to see 2.5+1 or if very early even 7/029+3/036
IIRC, the 14th Ed went metric 01/01/1970, but not sure if metric had to be installed after that date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back