EICR, would this be an issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Need to get an EICR done, but first want to address any potential issues. One is the location of the cooker isolator switch. I'm assuming it'll flag up as C1 or C2, see photo below. It's 100mm to side of cooker top and 165cm up from floor. Am I right in thinking it should be 300mm/120cm up?

20201020_113603.jpg

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
There are no regulations stating that a cooker switch is required therefore, for one's location there are only general regulations and recommendations, so down to common sense.

As for the EICR, Electrical Installation Condition Report, if there is not an electrical problem, it could be argued that no code should be given - just advice.

Others will disagree and you might get one of them.

Thanks. I think there's enough cable on both ends to shift it if need be, but hopefully he'll agree it's ok.

Other question.. I'm not convinced there's adequate RCD protection on the consumer unit. Is there any way if find out prior to the inspection?

20201020_124206.jpg

Sponsored Links
Residential. Although possibly going on the market either to sell or to let.

Well -

if selling, don't bother with EICR - sell as is.

if residential, don't bother with EICR unless you think there is something wrong. If the single RCD has not tripped, it would suggest all is well.

if letting, you will have to have EICR (landlord test?) so it might be worth updating the CU.

No, not had any issues with RCD tripping. Was just concerned that one wasn't enough or didn't cover everything that needs covering.

It was last tested 2005, so would rather get it tested for peace of mind. We're leaning heavily toward letting, so will likely need it anyway.

Is an EICR an EICR? Meaning are there specific residential EICRs and different landlord EICRs, or are they all the same?

No, not had any issues with RCD tripping. Was just concerned that one wasn't enough or didn't cover everything that needs covering.
It's now considered better to have more than one as then you don't loose all circuits because of one tiny fault.

It was last tested 2005, so would rather get it tested for peace of mind. We're leaning heavily toward letting, so will likely need it anyway.
Ok.

Is an EICR an EICR? Meaning are there specific residential EICRs and different landlord EICRs, or are they all the same?
Good question.

The legislation is poorly written. It uses terms that don't exist so all there is is a full EICR which will be quite expensive and lengthy. There might be further instructions to clarify the situation but that is not the case at the moment so no one really knows.

The legislation is poorly written. It uses terms that don't exist so all there is is a full EICR which will be quite expensive and lengthy. There might be further instructions to clarify the situation but that is not the case at the moment so no one really knows.

It's a 4 bed house, 2 bathrooms, kitchen extension. Had a quote for £165.

That is reasonable.

Before the new legislation, there were so-called Landlord Certificates which letting agents accepted (solely as a buck-passing exercise) which cost £40.
They came to be known as "Drive-by Inspections".

Just noticed the sticker that implies you may be in Wales. Do they work on the same rules as England? I think Scotland is slightly different.
Anyone clarify this?

Wales does not have requirement for an EICR for single occupancy dwelling, they said there is enough homeless as there is, don't want to make it worse.

The EICR has been a problem for years, it is the inspectors personal view rather than a fixed you must have, clearly a exposed live part is a code 1, but potentially dangerous code 2, well all 230 volt electric is potentially dangerous.

The code 4 which said did not comply with current edition was removed, code C3 does not need fixing in a hurry, so only code C1 and C2 is of real concern. Also F1 which means the tester was refused access. Could be as simple as no loft lid, or a locked door, but also there is nothing to stop the owner stipulating what he wants including, so he could say for example non including the garage.

So every edition of wiring regulations I have read gives the date of design when it comes into force, so an installation designed in 2000 even if not completed until 2002 still comes under BS 7671:1992 amendment 2 or 3 not BS 7671:2001. However things have moved on in 20 years, so a electric car charging point could mean the installations is potentially dangerous, it is up to the inspector to decide, and it is not easy, as the charge points have moved on so one installed in 2018 could fail but one installed in 2020 could pass.

The problem is so much has changed it is hard to keep up, even the inspectors are not sure how to tell if a "6mA DC vehicle fault protection" or not so he can be excused for failing some thing with a type A RCD instead of type B RCD even when it only requires a type A.

I don't think you have an electric car, so your not worried about that, but wanted to point out how the inspector can't hide behind the regulations, if could be safe when it does not comply or dangerous when it does, he is not saying it complies or does not comply, he is saying if safe or not, that's not the same.

So even if a single RCD for all does not comply, it still fails safe, so is safe.

Bi lingual bits of tape required
Yes and any regulation does not apply unless bilingual, have you seen a Welsh version of BS7671?

So English says "test emery 6 months", Welsh says "Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyn waith iw gyfieithu." which translates to "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated." this was actually a road sign in Swansea. But I am sure you see the problem, we made a mistake where I work, and miss spelt the sign for North Pole when we did Santa special train. Lucky found in time.

I have met people who have a problem expressing them selves in English, but they could still understand English even if they could not reply in it. So a guy had to translate Welsh to English for me, but not English to Welsh for him, my Welsh is not good enough, understand odd word, and get idea of what is being talked about, but can't converse in it.

So Welsh laws can't ask anyone to comply with a regulation unless there is a Welsh version. And hard enough to understand the English version with phrases like rule of thumb needing changing to historical etc.

...Also F1 which means the tester was refused access. ...
I think it can also mean that some fault/anomaly, or suggestion of a possible fault/anomaly, had been found but that the underlying cause had not yet been identified, such that 'further investigation' is required, can't it?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back