eicrs mandatory in let properties in Scotland

Hi Owain, Where did you get the dates from?

Sponsored Links
The Technical Handbook - Domestic seems similar to the Guide to 17th Edition laying out minimum number of sockets for each room etc. But I would have to give the Scottish full marks for a well laid out book.

Clearly crime in Scotland must be worse than Wales with so many provisions for entry systems.

It refers to Appendix 6 of BS 7671: 2008 for sample forms which seems a little odd as with that version still called a PIR but the document refers to an EICR but at least it clarifies where competent person comes from it is the BS 7671: 2008 definition.

I have got to admire the Scottish they have done far better than the Welsh with building regulations.

Sponsored Links
Clearly crime in Scotland must be worse than Wales with so many provisions for entry systems.

Possibly, but Scotland has much larger numbers of tenements / flatted properties. For council houses only:

Total dwellings....317,572
House................143,649
All Flats..............173,923
High rise flat.........18,622
Tenement.........60,418
Four in a block.....60,038
Other flat....34,845

so actually more flats (including four-in-a-block which usually means they have their own front doors not a common close) than houses in council housing.

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Resource/0045/00458180.xls

Possibly, but Scotland has much larger numbers of tenements / flatted properties. For council houses only:

Total dwellings....317,572
House................143,649
All Flats..............173,923
High rise flat.........18,622
Tenement.........60,418
Four in a block.....60,038
Other flat....34,845
However note that the section referred to earlier, regarding electrical inspections is in Part 3 and therefore applies only to private rented housing. No such requirement is being made under Part 2 for social (Housing Association or Local Authority) housing.

As a matter of fact I was at a recent briefing covering these changes, and according to the LAS representative the requirement for EICRs already exists. In the same way as the requirements for smoke alarms, it was not previously spelled out in legislation, but guidance had been given to indicate that such EICRs are the only way to demonstrate compliance. LAS admitted that neither were widely known, so probably just as well it's now spelled out in legislation.

Edit - LAS = "Landlord Accreditation Scotland", effectively a trade association for private landlords.

I think the same applies for the rest of the country not to have EICR or the one for gas is fool hardy for any landlord.

We read of cases where it went wrong and the landlords get large fines OK £5000 is nothing after causing a death I would expect there was also a private claim but had the property been tested one the accident would not happen and even if it did then unlikely the 82 year old landlady would have been fined.

What is to me more of a problem is ensuring you don't miss anything with the inspection and testing. The Emma Shaw Case shows what happens when you get it wrong. We years ago would work on the 10% system we would test 10% if all passed that was it. If there was a failure then a further 20% was tested. If another failure another 40% tested and another failure and all tested. In the main this worked. You would not waste time test A1 systems but instead used the time testing systems where it was needed.

Today the blame culture does not allow this so money is spent testing even when you realise it is highly unlikely any faults will be found. But to test every 5 years in some ways is good news as now after 6 years we at least in Scotland know we can bin records.

As to insurance that has always been a problem. One goes cards in and you stop paying for insurance what then happens if something done 3 years ago proves faulty is one covered?

I think Gas Safety Certificate was already a legal requirement. Or maybe I should say a legal requirement that was well known. For example our estate agent wouldn't advertise the property without it.

Thanks Owain. Ardanach lettings are not an authoritive source, neither are SAL who they are quoting, but I guess SAL are at least talking to the people that intend to implement the legislation. It's a pity that the information is still so vague for people who are trying to find out the "new" requirement. Wonder when the guidance will show up?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back