Elastic Band Ball

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I was at school, I made a ball out of elastic bands. It was great but I realised that the more I added the rate of growth decreased, insomuch as if I added 10 elastic bands a day and they were the same size, the rate of the volume growth decreased.

Could anyone provide a formula to express the growth of this sphere if the elastic bands were the same size and added at a constant rate?

It bounced really high, as well.

Sponsored Links
wouldnt be easy to work out

assuming all the elastic bands have identical [or very simmilar caricteristics] as the bands s-t-r-e-a-c-h they cover a smaller area they also become smaller in profile
they would also start to compress the "ball" even more because off the extra tension
the random holes around the ball will also effect the calculation :rolleyes: ;)

I probably could have done years ago, but no way now!
Thats very similar to expansion, say you heat a 10cm square cube of a material for 5 minutes with X amount of heat, and it expands by 0.01mm, how much heat will it take to expand the same material to 11cm ? Since once the material has expanded, it is of course bigger, so takes more heat to expand as its a larger amount to heat up ! It also varies with the temperatere . Coefficient of linear expansion - EEEWWWW

I suppose you could come up with a formula for volume growth as it would constant ,but the growth of the surface area would have to be measured constantly and the formula would have to state a period of time. Otherwise it could only be classed as a prediction.

Sponsored Links
e=mc2+1*3.14-x-7+g1*s-1.8265637497265969264718004265945808028029328-1-84147149775746644714764436483648384328742*0

should just about do it!

Not sure what you're driving at here, but assuming that the volume of a rubber band remains constant however tightly it is stretched, then the rate of actual volume growth remains the same, but the relative volume growth decreases.

For example, say you start with 10 bands in your ball, and add 10 per day....

On Day 1, it leaps from 10 to 20 bands - A leap in volume of 100%
On Day 2, it leaps from 20 to 30 bands - A leap of 50%
On Day 3, it leaps from 30 to 40 bands - A leap of 33%

....and so on.....

notb665 said:
Could anyone provide a formula to express the growth of this sphere if the elastic bands were the same size and added at a constant rate?

all i know is.....

the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true.

the chalice with the palace has the pill that is poison.

or was it the vessel with the pessel.......? :eek:

big-all said:
wouldnt be easy to work out

assuming all the elastic bands have identical [or very simmilar caricteristics] as the bands s-t-r-e-a-c-h they cover a smaller area they also become smaller in profile
they would also start to compress the "ball" even more because off the extra tension
the random holes around the ball will also effect the calculation :rolleyes: ;)

very smart never would of thought of that one hehehe

maybe if you used larger elastic bands as the ball got bigger the the larger bands would make it look bigger the smaller one make it smaller by squeezing it tighter so the larger ones would not compressit so much

Sponsored Links
Back