electric boiler wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
A friend of mine wants to fit an electric boiler and a timer in his coffee shop. Can anyone tell me how you would wire them up ( and what fuse rate) please? I understand that a fused switched double pole switch one metre away from the boiler is needed. Would 13 amp fuse be enough? Would you run the cable from the board to the boiler or from the ring to the boiler? How would you fit the programmer in and does it have to be protected by a 3 amp fuse? A drawing would be much appriciated. Thank u.

Sponsored Links
Hi, since you said

dotto said:
an electric boiler and a timer in his coffee shop. Can anyone tell me how you would wire them up

it is obvious you do not know what you are doing (which is why you are asking)

I would say that you also do not know that you can not do it.

1) You are not competant to do the job

2) you have no insurance

2 is the worst because if (when) something goes wrong, guess who gets sued, and its not me, and its not your friend.

Tell your friend you are very sorry, but in this instance you can not help. (other than to find an electrcian)

if it were your own house thats not too bad, but a coffee shop is open to the public for which there are a differnt set of "rules"

breezer said:
Hi, since you said

dotto said:
an electric boiler and a timer in his coffee shop. Can anyone tell me how you would wire them up

it is obvious you do not know what you are doing (which is why you are asking)

I would say that you also do not know that you can not do it.

1) You are not competant to do the job

2) you have no insurance

2 is the worst because if (when) something goes wrong, guess who gets sued, and its not me, and its not your friend.

Tell your friend you are very sorry, but in this instance you can not help. (other than to find an electrcian)

if it were your own house thats not too bad, but a coffee shop is open to the public for which there are a differnt set of "rules"
Fair enough Breezer.
But just out of curiosity, if i had to do it in a house how woud i have to do that? Thanks in advance

But just out of curiosity, if i had to do it in a house how woud i have to do that?

I think the same answer applies even if it were your own house

If you have no idea how to do it and something went wrong you would have trouble with insurers.

Also I should mention Part P which covers domestic work

Sponsored Links
dotto, you would not be having a coffee machine in your own house, domestic situations come under part p as DESL said, either way you still need an electrician

I understand that you want to help your friendwhich is nice of you, BUT, somethings are best not done by thediy person, this is one of them.

look at the worst case

you do do it, it goes wrong, place catches fire, insurance co cough up, insurance co then sue you for the money, what you cant afford it, sell your house then! you will be homeless, not our problem , you should have not done the job in the first place should you.

yes it is the worst case scenario, but it can happen.

was a case in the papers few years ago, bloke "fixed" his mates car brakes, they failed, guess what happened.

yes, insurance co paid up, claimed money from "mate" who did the job, ok, so he didnt have to sell house but it was quite a few grand he had to pay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back