Electric hobs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are plug in electric hobs any good? I'd be in a situation where I'd me plug-in the hob in but wouldn't have a spur/rocker switch above on the kitchen tiled area to turn it on. So would be constantly switch on
Is this not a good idea?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a cheap Lidi one, induction so remove pan and auto switches off, think it was 2 kW and we found rarely used it at over 1 kW setting. We used it as mothers two ring hob was not induction and was so slow, today would not even consider a hob if not induction.

However they all tend to have an auto switch off, after so long, so could not leave it on even if you wanted to.

Ah thanks so not have a spur above the kitchen work tops to turn off isn't a problem?

Ah thanks so not have a spur above the kitchen work tops to turn off isn't a problem?
It’s not a problem. But, not really necessary.
Personally, I’d find a way to go for a more powerful Hob, than a plug in one, that’s limited in its ability.

Sponsored Links
Does your kitchen not have a circuit for an electric cooker?

Well, they have their uses if the situation is appropriate, just in the same way you could live with just a microwave or just an air fryer but once you start habitually using say 27 or such units regularly at the same time (Actually, much lower I only used the figure 27 as a daft example) then you are in the problems arena.

Occasional usage or usage for a one person situation would not concern me but as those numbers increase so does the likelihood of problems.

The easy answer is, perhaps better to have a proper cooker circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back