Electric Ignition gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Likely a simple question. My gas hob has an electrical switch you press which creates a spark to light the hobs. (Whirlpool hob)

Today on pressing we get a plastic/electrical burning smell and a puff of smoke when we press the button. I've unplugged it all looks OK with a switch attached to the wiring by a spade. Was going to buy a replacement switch, just wondering if there's anything else it could be??

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
So (and sorry to be a simpleton) - the hob was cleaned today so I'm sure you're right. Does shorted out mean the switch is kaput or should I take it out and leave on a radiator or something?

So (and sorry to be a simpleton) - the hob was cleaned today so I'm sure you're right. Does shorted out mean the switch is kaput or should I take it out and leave on a radiator or something?

If it was just water it will dry itself, if grease you will need to clean it.

Sponsored Links
Melting plastic and smoke would not be created by a faulty switch - they are either on or off, so if shorted out, the sparks would be created continuously.

More likely the circuit board for the spark generator has been damaged or destroyed.

Interesting. Where does this usually live? The hob is fixed into the worksurface with the oven built in underneath. Who would fix this if I can't? Gas fitter? Electrician? (New hob? They don't seem very expensive looking online)

cooks-matches.jpg

(I have never seen a bigger bunch of idiots :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back