Electric shocks from metal light switches

Randomly prodding around lights and switches and now pulling up flooring on two levels of the house doesn’t sound like the right way to solve what really isn’t a particularly complicated fault.

I’ll bet you £1 that it is not a failed bit of cable.

Failed cable apparently. Have put in a new one and apparently all is well. Now to put my house back together...

Sponsored Links
Failed cable apparently. Have put in a new one and apparently all is well. Now to put my house back together...

@RF Lighting owes you a Pound :)

The odd part was the failed bit of cable was a new section that had been added, which went a different route to the other cables.

What an absolute nightmare it is putting in a new cable. There was the option of going through the floor or the ceiling. Opted for floor because potentially old artexted skimmed ceilings

I need to see the cable before I pay out...

Arrrr it's sealed in my floor now.

Sponsored Links
Just had the plumber in - who says they can't believe what a mess they've made - they went in through 5inch circular holes in the floorboards rather than lifting the boards themselves - is this normal practice?

is this normal practice?

It could be, if that is what you agreed to as an alternative to lifting the floor above? If there are problems like tiles, or built-in furniture which cannot be moved, there could be no other way than making hole in the ceiling below for access.

EDIT - I have just reread what you wrote. 5" holes in the floor - WHY????

It could be, if that is what you agreed to as an alternative to lifting the floor above? If there are problems like tiles, or built-in furniture which cannot be moved, there could be no other way than making hole in the ceiling below for access.

I'm gutted about it - I've just had a plumber in to look at the pipe he hit with his circular saw - she was really angry i.e. wtf didn't he lift the floorboard up or saw it at the joists. It's one of those things you (or I) didn't question as that's how he says he does it - so then he braced the circular cut out and put it back, but obviously it's not flush.

I'd gone for this guy after he had lots of positive reviews on mybuilder but I'm sad at how much damage people can do to your house. Makes me worry about everything else he's done - drilling through joists etc.

There has been a story about Mybuilder and one of the other ones on BBC 1 this morning - the consumer program. Both homeowners had employed builders from the sites and both had made a disastrous, very dangerous mess of the major works, taking the money and disappearing. Both homeowners are facing bills higher than the original costs of the works, to repair the damage done to their homes - many thousands of pounds. The websites take no responsibility for any of work done. I don't think the program went far enough, in outing these sort of sites, which have suddenly appeared.

Positive reviews on those sites are completely meaningless, when negative reviews are simply deleted as quickly as they appear. He was obviously not a tradesman, just a botcher with a little knowledge and I would be very suspicious of the work he has done to repair your original issue.

Sorry you have had to find out the hard way. Can you back charge him for the plumber at least?

5" is maybe somewhat excessive (presumably spanning more than one board) but I have to say that I have been known to do similar in the case of T&G floorboards, particularly when they have been secured by lots of 'concealed nailing' through the tongues. It's not difficult to do quite an aesthetically good job of making good a neat circular hole.

Kind Regards, John

I'm gutted about it - I've just had a plumber in to look at the pipe he hit with his circular saw - she was really angry i.e. wtf didn't he lift the floorboard up or saw it at the joists. It's one of those things you (or I) didn't question as that's how he says he does it - so then he braced the circular cut out and put it back, but obviously it's not flush.

It's not difficult to set a circular saw, so it only cuts through a floorboard, but I suspect he wasn't a circular saw at all - he more likely drilled a hole and used a jigsaw to cut around the 5" diameter.

Any chance you could provide a photo?

5" is maybe somewhat excessive (presumably spanning more than one board) but I have to say that I have been known to do similar in the case of T&G floorboards, particularly when they have been secured by lots of 'concealed nailing' through the tongues. It's not difficult to do quite an aesthetically good job of making good a neat circular hole.

Kind Regards, John

Rather than do that, I would be seeing if it might be easier to make a hole in the ceiling below. What little board lifting I have had to do over the years, I have always been able to just split the tongues off, either with a saw or a bolster, then lift the board by prising it up. If it is trapped, you can always saw it across at a joist.

Rather than do that, I would be seeing if it might be easier to make a hole in the ceiling below. What little board lifting I have had to do over the years, I have always been able to just split the tongues off, either with a saw or a bolster, then lift the board by prising it up. If it is trapped, you can always saw it across at a joist.
Yes, they are the usual methods but, as I said, I have occasionally taken the 'hole' approach (or, as you say, the equivalent in the ceiling below, where appropriate). Similar, of course, sometimes applies with stud walls.
It's not difficult to set a circular saw, so it only cuts through a floorboard, but I suspect he wasn't a circular saw at all - he more likely drilled a hole and used a jigsaw to cut around the 5" diameter.
When I've done it, I've used a circular hole cutter - easier/neater than a jigsaw.

Kind Regards, John

There has been a story about Mybuilder and one of the other ones on BBC 1 this morning - the consumer program. Both homeowners had employed builders from the sites and both had made a disastrous, very dangerous mess of the major works, taking the money and disappearing. Both homeowners are facing bills higher than the original costs of the works, to repair the damage done to their homes - many thousands of pounds. The websites take no responsibility for any of work done. I don't think the program went far enough, in outing these sort of sites, which have suddenly appeared.

Positive reviews on those sites are completely meaningless, when negative reviews are simply deleted as quickly as they appear. He was obviously not a tradesman, just a botcher with a little knowledge and I would be very suspicious of the work he has done to repair your original issue.

Sorry you have had to find out the hard way. Can you back charge him for the plumber at least?

Cheers - I (as a layperson) got the impression that he was really geeky about the electrics but hated all the other bits involved - he was telling me he just does small jobs by choice (this was originally supposed to be just changing some switches and a pull cord) it was clear that the process of lifting up floorboards made him quite flustered.

The plumber was actually in for another job and said that the pipe was only scuffed and didn't need anything doing so I haven't been charged for that.

Again as a lay person it's really difficult to make decisions, I got a handyman in to do loads of jobs, he was seemingly really knowledgable about everything but he clearly just lost interest towards the end of the week and his work got worse and worse to the point he filled missing plaster on our wall with bathroom silicone.

Also re: regulations such as where to drill holes in joists and how big they are allowed to be - it's impossible to have a comprehensive understanding of all these before someone gets to work, it's only in retrospect, and when things are obvious.

I will be putting in some new floorboards to cover the damaged parts when I get new carpet in a couple of month's time so I think I will try to calm down and put this down to experience.

Any chance you could provide a photo?

Can you see this?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zfTzAxAE8CFXGf6c7

This shows one that's been put back in (this split) and one that's been left off (where I was waiting for the plumber to come to check it). Sorry when I said circular saw I meant an attachment for a drill that cuts out a circle with a hole in the centre.

A slightly separate question: The other thing I'm now slightly anxious about is the holes in the joist where the wires are fed through - just been reading about the areas where building regs say you can drill - between 0.25 and 0.4 of the length of the joist? How does someone know the length of the joist i.e. if they span a single (3m) room or the whole of the floor to calculate where they are able to drill as this would affect where this section was located? They look sensibly sized for the wires.

If I hadn't been so involved in the process he'd have put the carpet back himself and I'd probably never have known or been anxious about any of these things - ignorance is bliss etc etc.

I still don’t believe it was a cable fault!

Any way do the holes he’s drilled have a lip on the inside?

E121537F-4137-444C-9ECB-C91A37F77212.jpeg

Maybe 5 inches is the smallest hole to get an arm in to grab a cable and pull through, or connect up?

Better to remove boards, but if that is not possible, I guess a hole it must be.

You should be able to put a big batten in and screw in place from top of floorboards, then fix round board to that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back