Electric shocks from metal light switches

And it looks like he initially tried to drill it without a centre drill in the arbour (as seems to be evidenced by the excessive scoring).
I'm not sure that I've ever seen a hole saw with which that would usually be possible, since it's usually the 'centre drill' which connects the cutter to the drill's chuck, isn't it?
Why on earth didn't he just use an osculating saw to cut the board on the joist.
If the boards are going to be concealed by floor covering, then it doesn't make much difference how one is going to do it - so the easiest/quickest is probably the sensible way to go. However, at least in my experience, if the boards are going to remain at least partially visible, then one can usually end up with an aesthetically better result with such a hole than with cutting across boards (using a saw with a blade of finite width) over joists. Maybe you've never tried but, apart from anything else, it's difficult to chop through the tongues of tightly-butted T+G boards (using any method) without making quite a mess of them.

... and, as aptsys has said, it is quite a common method with chipboard floors.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Dremels are called multitools.
They are, and many other things like them. You will sometimes see the more specific terms "Rotary multi-tool" and "Oscillating multi-tool"
I would think it applies to any tool which does more than one thing.
Indeed. In fact, if you ask Mr Google to search for images of "multitool", by far the majority he finds are 'Swiss Army Knife'-like jobs.

Kind Regards, John

Oscillating saw. AKA multi tool
Well, I'm well aware what was meant. I have a Fein Multitool myself (I was using it today). I also have a Dremel (the rotating sort of multitool).

I just had a horrific picture of what an osculating saw might look like or be used for. Guess you had to be there.

Well, I'm well aware what was meant.
I'm sure that all (or most!) of us were - but, of course, around here one has to be careful about the "we knew what was meant" argument :)
I have a Fein Multitool myself (I was using it today). I also have a Dremel (the rotating sort of multitool).
Same here. I also have both those, plus two or three imitation Dremels.
I just had a horrific picture of what an osculating saw might look like or be used for. Guess you had to be there.
Yes, to use a variant of that phrase again, I think that a good few of us probably "knew what you had in your mind". I have to say that when I saw it, my first thought was of the mathematical meaning of the word, rather than the meaning which presumably came into your mind :)

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a hole saw with which that would usually be possible, since it's usually the 'centre drill' which connects the cutter to the drill's chuck, isn't it?
At least on the holesaw I just looked at (think it's a wikes one but not 100% sure) the pilot drill seems to be held in the arbor with a grub screw.

At least on the holesaw I just looked at (think it's a wikes one but not 100% sure) the pilot drill seems to be held in the arbor with a grub screw.
Fair enough. With the ones I have (pretty ancient, and no clue as to the make or source), the 'pilot drill' goes into the drill chuck and the bit that holds the saw blade (not really an arbor as such) is held onto the shank of that drill with a grub screw.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back