Electric shower pull won't pull

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an electric shower which also has a ceiling pull cord. I've gone to have a shower this morning and it won't pull on. I've done a search and understand that I need to buy a replacement switch, I'll pick one up from Wickes later today.

Is this something that I'd be able to replace myself, bearing in mind that I've only ever changed a fuse before, I don't know anything much about wiring :(

Sponsored Links
Well that entirely depends on your understanding of electrical installation.

Q. What type of switch are you going to buy??

Q. What do you understand about the colour coding of cables?

Q. What installation techniques may you need to employ?

Yes it is only changing a switch, but, et it wrong and it could be tears before bed time. Even fuse changing isn't straight forward, what if the original fuse is the incorrect rating??

It's a relatively straight forward job, but it does need to be done right (especially with the amount of current drawn by electric showers). If you're not confident in doing it, then getting an electrician in might be your best bet (shouldn't cost very much at all assuming that the circuit was correctly installed originally - probably just a minimum call out fee or whatever).

If you do it yourself, then a few things to note:
Note down VERY carefully which terminals the original wires go to, in particular, you will have one pair of live+neutral (either red/black or brown/blue) going to a side marked SUPPLY (or similar), and another pair going to a side marked LOAD (or similar). Ensure that when you put the new switch up, you get these on the correct sides...
Make sure the terminals are done up very tight, otherwise you can get arcing, which will at best cause the cable / switch to fail, and at worst cause a fire...

And obviously, make sure the circuit is isolated at the consumer unit before you work on it!

Thank you both.

My other half will be the one replacing it, he has some experience and knowledge of electrics (compared to my zero).

I'm going to pick up one of these as a replacement http://www.wickes.co.uk/Switches+Dimmers/MK-Pull-Cord-Switch-with-Neon/invt/195071 Although it doesn't say on there what amp it is, 45 or 50 seem to be standard.

I understand the part about some going to "supply" or "feed" (mains) and others to "load" (shower).

And of course, making sure the mains is off before unscrewing the old one. OH will probably know this already but just cos I'm wondering, do we need to turn the whole mains off at the box or just the lever that says "Shower"? Would be nice to be able to have the lights on while replacing it that's all, but if not we have torches :)

If when he opens the old it looks too complicated and he's unsure, we'll make sure we don't touch it and get someone else in to do it.

Sponsored Links
Although it doesn't say on there what amp it is, 45 or 50 seem to be standard.
Do make sure before you buy it - it will have the rating on the packaging and/or product itself.

do we need to turn the whole mains off at the box or just the lever that says "Shower"?
Do you know from previous experience that the breaker labelled "shower" actually is for the shower?

The switch in your link to Wickes looks like an ordinary bedroom light switch. The switch you need will be at least 45amp rating and often sold as "shower pull switch"

Sometimes a pull cord won't pull because the wiring is pressing against the switch inside. Before changing the pull cord, try loosening the two screws slightly. If that frees the mechanism, then turn off the power, open the box and arrange the wires more tidily so that they fit inside the enclosure better.

It's just a thought.

Woohoo, panic over :LOL:

Bf got up on the stepladders to have a look when he got home from work, loosening the screws enabled the cord to work again, turned mains back on and hey presto, we have hot water!

This same thing happened beginning of last year when we were renting and that time the whole switch did need replacing. Strange how it's worked fine ever since, for almost a year, before the wiring getting in the way!

Thanks all for your help, I really appreciate it. :)

take it off and inspect it while you're up there. Check for burnt wiring.

loosening the screws enabled the cord to work again, turned mains back on and hey presto, we have hot water!
Strange how it's worked fine ever since, for almost a year, before the wiring getting in the way!

Well it's a plastic fitting subject to considerable stress/temp changes, so things will move about over time. Don't forget to turn off the power and check that there is no visible damage to cables. Loosening the screws may have solved the problem temporarily, but you need to do a permanent fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back