electric socket question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my kitchen I have a number of sockets like most people. One is a single socket which I use mainly for my iron. When I go to switch off the switch at the socket before I pull the plug out, I notice sometimes, not always, a strong flash of light from behind the switch which frightens me a little. Should I call in an electrician or is this nothing to worry about. I don't notice it on any of my other sockets.

All the sockets are those white plastic ones you usually see, fitted flush.
I should add the home is less than 4 years old.
Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
I would imagine it only happens sometimes, because it will depend if the irons electrical element is on or not.

If its on (ie warming up, usually accompanied by the red light on the iron) then the current flowing thru the switch could cause an arc when you turn it off.

Whether its supposed to do it i'm not sure, it might indicate a worn switch, or it might be comletely normal, i've never looked too closely, although i have seen arcs from both my kettle and deep fat fryers internal switchgear when turned off.

Try plugging the iron into a different socket, then switch the socket off when it irons element is on, and see if it also arcs, if not then the single socket unit is likely worn.

Aragorn84 is right, it's just an arc caused because the power is cut from the plug, nothing to worry about, if you watch all plugs closely, they all flash a little as they are turned on and off, if the flash is bright enough to been seen from across the room then i'd say something is wrong, could be your iron?.
This is what I was taught at college, i'm sure it's true as i've flicked a plug on and off to see the flash, but theres nothing to say it is 100% true.

If you do find it happens on other plugs i'd suggest turning the Iron thermostat down and wait a moment for it to cool a little, that way it shouldn't need to be drawing current as you switch off

Sponsored Links
Do you know the make of the sockets or can you post a picture, some of the cheaper make sockets, are more prone to it.

They should be british standard anyway, but some are made to a higher level than others unfortunately.

I see it is a newish house, apparently a lot of these are fitted with cheap range white sockets, due to the likely hood that the new owner will change them to ones they desire, ie chrome etc.

As others say you have proberly worn it out, too much ironing :)

I'm very grateful for all your help and advice everyone. Just to answer rockys question above, I think they are cheap sockets, the switches seem a bit flimsy and smallish. On the top left hand corner are the letters POL in a circle [or is it PDL I'm not sure]. They are not metal screws fixing it to the wall either but white plastic round ones [that's how it looks to me, not sure, might be metal underneath], and not quite sure how you get them out to unscrew them, - no slot for a screw driver. It's a Park [mobile] Home, 4 years old so all fairly new.

Should I get it changed do you think? I'll try all the other suggestions first though, like turning the iron down before I switch it off. I'm a bit scared to use it now :( :)

Pdl I think,not high up on the scale, .

http://www.pdlglobal.com/brochures/1600Brochure.pdf
Designed in New Zealand

The screws are under the white caps.
Usually you have to dig them out and damage them, so leave be for now.

if you changed the iron socket for a better brand would it look odd.

for someone to change one front should not be a lot, a good make single is no more than £4 and less than 1 hour to replace and test it.

thanks rocky, I think I'll get it changed, it won't look odd as it's quite a way from all the others in a corner. I have done what others said, i.e. turning the iron setting down before switching it off and it doesn't happen then so it seems to be only when I'm interrupting the current.

I think I'll get someone in as I got a couple other jobs and I should have a PIR test or whatever it's called in any case.

yeah I do a lot of ironing..lol... I ought to get some help

thanks again :)

p.s. just noticed the link rocky - thanks for that - it is PDL that's the one, and it's on page 20, the type no. 1661 single gang. I'm having a read through of it now :)

oh ok, I've heard of Mk, I'll get one of those.

thanks again rocky, and everyone for your time :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back