Electric -sockets stops working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
Urgent hrlp needed. I plugged in a new kettle this morning. Kettle did not work and all of a sudden all sockets in the ground floor not working at all. Circuit box looks all fine. Nothing tripped. Sitch it off and on several times. No success. However, I notice the RCP is in the middle, meaning not on 'off' or 'on'.. Could that be be the problem?. Please any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
However, I notice the RCP is in the middle, meaning not on 'off' or 'on'.. Could that be be the problem?. Please any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Make sure your kettle is not plugged in. Push the RCD lever firmly into the 'off' position (down) and then push it right up into the 'on' position. With a bit of luck, that will solve the problem - but your kettle may need replacing!

Kind Regards, John

Thank you John.
Just want to be very sure that if I turn off and on the RCP lever, nothing endangering could happen? ....If it's not the kettle issue...a bit worrying at the moment. If there is another issue, would thete be a spark or a blow? Or would the RCP not just turn on? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you John. Just want to be very sure that if I turn off and on the RCP lever, nothing endangering could happen? ....If it's not the kettle issue...a bit worrying at the moment. If there is another issue, would thete be a spark or a blow? Or would the RCP not just turn on? Thanks
There is no risk. If there is an ongoing fault, the RCD will simply not let you turn it back on - or, at least, not for any more than a fraction of a second. However, if it won't reset (turn on), don't keep trying.

Quite a lot of RCDs and MCBs have to be pushed firmly into the 'off' position before they can be turned back on.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you John once again. It worked!!! Problem solved and I have learned something new today.

Kind regards
J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back