Double socket stopped working

The 13amp fues in the kettle socket should blow long before any damage is done to the cable?.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Yes. Is there anything screwed under there?

Like skirting?
The most likely place a cable installed like that could be damaged is where it runs up the walls.

However, as others have said, it is not likely to be damaged if there is no sign of tripping.

Could there be a fused connection unit feeding that socket that has a faulty connection or blown fuse in?

Which cable?

And what relevance has any of that to a socket which has stopped working?

From reading this thread the OP was thinking a defective kettle boiling for too long has damaged the spur cable, I was kindly pointing out the fuse in the kettle PLUG should blow long before the Kettle lead or spur wiring are in any danger of damage due to the defective kettle.

Have you got any constructive input or are you just trolling?.

From reading this thread the OP was thinking a defective kettle boiling for too long has damaged the spur cable, I was kindly pointing out the fuse in the kettle PLUG should blow long before the Kettle lead or spur wiring are in any danger of damage due to the defective kettle.
18 hours after I'd kindly pointed out that the kettle could not have had anything to do with the problem.

Fair enough.

Have you got any constructive input or are you just trolling?.
Have you?

While I may have missed it, I have not discerned that anyone has suggested that the OP (trevorbayliss) should check the continuity of the conductors between the contacts of the "Socket Outlets" cornered and the "point of supply" to the "supply" Line and Neutral connections, wherever they are. (The Earth connection should also be checked, but that is another story.)

This connection check should be done with an Analog multimeter set to its "Resistance" range with the power supply concerned turned "OFF".

I agree with everyone who posted on the unlikelihood of a "failure" of the conductors in the cable concerned. The most likely possibility is a "Terminal Connection" failure, at either the "Supply" end or the "Load" end.

There could also be a break in the copper underneath the insulation where it's entered one of the boxes - the feed socket is more likely. Not common but I've seen it.

My vote is for a termination issue, or a failed contact in the socket and there actually is voltage at the socket

Sometimes the contacts wear so that you get poor contact with the plug pins.

I got called out to help a colleague sort a bad earth problem in a dining room.

It turned out there was nothing wrong with the circuit, but the sockets were old, the earth contacts worn loose and the loop impedance was poor or non-existent.

It could be several things:

Poor connection inside the socket between the conductors and the terminals.

Worn-out socket.

Broken connection prior to the socket.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/single-socket-fault.382421/#ixzz58xWguaaN

NewsFlash !!!

My socket is now working, but i don't understand what has happened here.

I have just fitted our new washer in the big cupboard this morning. In there i have a double socket on the kitchen ring. Next to that is a switched spur which was put there because we ran a single double socket from this spur next door into the conservatory. This has now been demolished and so the switched fuse has been switched off for ages.

Anyway someone on here said there maybe a connection in the ring and so i wondered if this switched spur was anything to do with my dodgy socket.

So i switched it back on and then went to plug my radio into this socket and hey presto it works. If i switch off this spur the socket goes dead.

So i have my socket working again, but i am scratching to understand what i have done here with the sparky to wire this ring up.

I enclose a photo.

It shows the socket next to it on the ring. Coming out of the spur is a cable which goes past the socket and then down into the concrete floor. I am wondering if this cable links into the dining room socket which is close to this cable on the other side of the wall. The kitchen and dining room has been wired on one ring as they are two open plan rooms really.

The feed from the spur to the conservatory has been removed.

Attachments

• IMG_1416.jpg
    IMG_1416.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 111

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back