Electrical interference with microwave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering what this could be really. Randomly our microwave will just sound like it's receiving a signal from space or something that i can only describe as electrical interference. It's not all the time but it happens.

It's been going on for most of this year and the microwave i'd say isn't even 3 years old. It hasn't blown up or set on fire ... yet.

Sponsored Links
I attended a lecture on the early days of radar, it seems during the war when radar was being developed they found dead seagulls, where they looked at why, it seems they were landing ready cooked, so at the time it was thought possible that they could make a death ray. As distance increases the effect quickly drops off, however the research that went into the death ray, is what allowed the invention of the microwave cooker.

It is nothing more that a radio transmitter inside a faraday cage. But although microwave transmissions can affect us, we can't hear or see them. So I would assume something is receiving the transmission and causing an arc.

As to what to do, because we can't see the radio transmission to open up a microwave the most important tool is something which can detect leaks. So I have rarely tried to repair them, and this is the real point, we all know they can adversely effect the human body, so to options, by new or send for repair, they are not really something we can DIY.

The story I heard was that the accidental discovery was made by a technician with a bar of (melted) chocolate in his pocket.

The angle i was really coming from with this was really a should it be replaced even though it still cooks and doesn't crackle all the time kind of angle.

My fault for being vague :D So .... what would YOU do? Would you replace it?

Sponsored Links
The story I heard was that the accidental discovery was made by a technician with a bar of (melted) chocolate in his pocket.
I heard it from one of the guys actually involved, when I knew him he was living in Suffolk. near Orford Ness where the work was actually done, he also talked about the friend/foe ID device and many other things, I know he was Sir Richard as I knew him as dick, think last name Davis but can only find a conductor, know he spend a lot of time in Russia in diplomatic service, but it was some time ago, I would assume now dead.

My fault for being vague :D So .... what would YOU do? Would you replace it?
If I had the money I would replace, but I would not be unduly worried using it until I had the money required, I have bought microwaves which had painted inside which have only lasted just over a year before the wheels of the turn table have worn out the paint and the inside has rusted. Last one we got inside was stainless and it has lasted far better, so if it is one of the more expensive models it may be worth repairing.

Remember we can only guess what the noise is, it may be harmless.

Can you get a recording of this happening and put it on youtube?
some pics of the thing inside may help too.

Does it still happen if plugged into a different socket ? Have you checked connections at the plug and microwave.

Just wondering what this could be really. Randomly our microwave will just sound like it's receiving a signal from space or something that i can only describe as electrical interference. It's not all the time but it happens.

It's been going on for most of this year and the microwave i'd say isn't even 3 years old. It hasn't blown up or set on fire ... yet.
Does it have some kind of fibrous cover over an aperture where the microwaves emerge?

The Mrs keeps putting stuff up against the vent on the side :cautious: but even after i've cleared it it still does it. I call it a vent, it might not be one but there's slits on the side for something.

IIRC it was £80 down from £100 something at Currys.
Photo 20-12-2018, 1 52 02 pm.jpg

That's the model. The inside looks like it did when it was new to be honest.

If you mean TOTALLY different socket as in not even the one next to it then no it hasn't been tried, although the slow cooker is plugged in to the other side of the twin socket and that never makes a noise.

What exactly does that mean?

What is the sound? (Most signals from "space" are usually best described as "static" interference.)

Is the sound made only when the microwave oven is "in operation" or
is it made when it is (also) not "in operation".

If it is made only when the microwave oven is in operation and
it sounds like radio static then
it is probably "arcing", due to an internal electrical fault or
"arcing" within the microwave oven, due to some metal flakes somewhere within the oven chamber.

(However, if it is arcing within the oven chamber you would see it.)

(The side vent(s) must be kept clear to ventilate heated air and water vapour from the oven chamber.)

The Mrs keeps putting stuff up against the vent on the side :cautious: but even after i've cleared it it still does it. I call it a vent, it might not be one but there's slits on the side for something.
I meant inside:
Does it have some kind of fibrous cover over an aperture where the microwaves emerge?
Microwaves do not emerge outside.

We hope.

That is the sound of electrical arcing. I would refrain from using it until it is fixed or replaced.

That is the sound of electrical arcing. I would refrain from using it until it is fixed or replaced.
That sounds like worst case scenario being fire?

Also sounds like it's time to break in to the Nectar points i've saved up over the years. I think i've just over £200 left now so i'll see what 'free' microwave i can get at Sainsbury's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back