electrical wire question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I was wondering if it is ok to use 10mm electrical wire with standard sockets. I know that it is typically used for cookers and such, but is it against building control etc. to use it for everything? Please comment on same question for 6mm wire.

Thanks.

C

Sponsored Links
No it is absolutely fine, however if you can terminate this into the sockets then you are a much better technician than many of us.

It is a frighteningly expensive way to do it as well.

Buy some better sized cable :)

also how would you get a 10mm cable in and out? (2 x 10mm cables) in one domestic socket isnt going to happen

Sponsored Links
Perhaps he has a couple of rolls of it & does not want to buy more?

Could always find someone with a roll of 2.5mm & swap!

is it against building control etc. to use it for everything?
No, but it's probably going to be difficult for you to comply with the Building Regulations or the Wiring Regulations if you have so little experience that you've never used 10mm² for anything, and never installed sockets...

:idea:

suppose the OP thinks its 10mm becuse of its physical size, we are all thinking 10 mm csa

I'll swap as many rolls of 10mm T&E with you as you like :cool:

Getting a 10mm cable into a 20mm hole, as found on normal back boxes is a bit hard, easpecially with grommett (a must) in there too, even then the terminals on sockets won't take 20mm of wire in then anyway, MK claim you can fit 2 6mm2 wires into the terminals on their Logic 3 range, but never needed to try it out for myself.

Thats what 47mm deep back boxes with 25mm holes in are for. Even then, a single cooker switch can still be difficult to wire.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back