Electrician and regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Home owner with no electrical knowledge renovating their house. I had an electrician in recently and he caused quite a lot of damage that I won’t go into. All the electricians that came recommended locally were fully booked for months in advance so went with an electrician that nobody had heard about - I figured he’s qualified so should be okay.

I have two questions that I’m struggling to find answers to and hope someone can help?

1. He removed an old consumer unit and replaced it with a modern one…but before doing so did not do an EICR - I’ve since been told that he has fallen foul of the regulations by failing to do the EICR before removing/changing the consumer unit? I should state too that he failed to provide a certificate for the consumer unit.

2. At one point I watched him stripping away the sheath encasing the earth wire in a wall socket. The socket was / is old, but was working normally. I think he may have done this will another couple of sockets also on account of the yellow stripped sheath I found afterwards. The copper wire was exposed. Is this safe and in accordance with regulations?

Thanks and cheers.

Sponsored Links
Although it is sensible to do some tests before changing a consumer unit, all you need is a certificate after the consumer change - as this will then cover the wiring and the consumer unit.

There shouldn't be bare earth wires at sockets. 60 years ago there were, but not now.

Sponsored Links
Although it is sensible to do some tests before changing a consumer unit, all you need is a certificate after the consumer change - as this will then cover the wiring and the consumer unit.

There shouldn't be bare earth wires at sockets. 60 years ago there were, but not now.
No certificate provided and won’t provide one. Told by another electrician that it means it is none compliant with building control and that the consumer unit needs removing - unsure that’s true? it‘s a house I want to sell in the near future and doubt I can without the certificate?

He stripped the earth wires, left them bare, and shortened all the wires for the sockets meaning I now have insufficient cable to move the sockets up the wall.

You'll have to get a decent electrician then.

Chances are, he's made a pig's ear of the consumer unit.

So best get another electrician in to 'tidy it up' to professional standards, or start again, then he can do you a certificate.

You'll have to get a decent electrician then.

Chances are, he's made a pig's ear of the consumer unit.

So best get another electrician in to 'tidy it up' to professional standards, or start again, then he can do you a certificate.
Thanks for your advice

If you are in England or Wales the installing spark owes you and electrical installation certificate and a part p compliance document.

These should have been supplied with their invoice

What is their excuse for not providing these documents?

If you are in England or Wales the installing spark owes you and electrical installation certificate and a part p compliance document.

These should have been supplied with their invoice
The Compliance Certificate comes from the registration body a couple of weeks after the electrician has logged the work with them.
Likely in this case that that has not been done.

@Fellwalking changing a consumer unit is notifiable work. To self-notify your electrician needs to be registered with one of the Competent Person Schemes. (CPS)
check that your “electrician” is listed here

If they are listed then you can complain to their (CPS). If they aren’t listed they should not have done the job.

As for question 1/.
There is no actual regulation stating that an EICR/PIR must be done before adding a new consumer unit.
However, any half decent pro would usually do at least part of the inspecting and testing process of this before changing the consumer unit.
All the law says that it must be "safe" and it is extremely difficult to see how this might be achieved and it is difficult to imagine how it has been achieved without prior testing and then some subsequent live testing.

Also, in England and Wales, such works as changing a consumer unit must be notified to the local authority under Part P of the building regulations.
Scotland and Norther Ireland each have different, but perhaps equally effective, rules. So in effect similar sorts of rules in place with a legal standing.

You do not mention to what extent you believe the electrician you originally used is qualified and to what extent they are actually qualified. Anyone can claim to be an electrician if they say for instance twist two wires together and something works. The term "Electrician" has not protected status.

A tutor on one of our City & Guilds electrical courses once said something like - Someone I know is a highly intelligent, highly qualified brain surgeon, I would trust him with my life to operate on my brain. That does not mean that I would also trust him to slide down a pole and race to my home to put a fire out unless he also happened to be a qualified firefighter.

The Compliance Certificate comes from the registration body a couple of weeks after the electrician has logged the work with them.
Likely in this case that that has not been done.

Er not necessarily.

With Napit you can opt for post delivery, electronic delivery or just download it yourself.

If you opt for the electronic delivery, the customer gets an email allowing them to download it themselves and when they do this they can opt to answer some questions about the installer................

I use the download and send with my invoice and EIC then its all done and dusted at the same time - and later when they lose the email, I can forward it to them again!

do you charge for this additional email? say £35 or so.

£35 per certificate seems to be popular - £35 for the notification and £35 for the EIC perhaps

An electrician is defined as "A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others." he does not need any qualifications, it is actually a competent person which is higher than skilled.

We would hope today they would have done some courses, and will have passes some exams, but they don't need to have done to call themselves electricians. In the past the Union would vet people and we had a closed shop with many firms, and if the Union did not rate your skills you could not work, but the government made this illegal.

It was replaced with the domestic market with scheme providers, however no one can force an electrician to join one, that would be illegal, as it would then be a closed shop, and we have to have multiple scheme providers for the same reason, and again due to the law passed to stop closed shop they are not allowed to share information about electricians between them. However they can and do allow member electricians to advertise that they are members. And it is illegal for a non member to display any logo or name to show they are members when they are not.

Scheme membership allows the electrician to notify work though the scheme which is very much cheaper that doing it through the LABC, however the electrician is not the person responsible for notifying unless they do display some logo, rather a silly situation, specially since even non members can do the notifying for the owner, so the home owner can easy not realise it is up to them to notify.

If the electrician is working with no intention to con the owner, he will know the owner needs to submit the installation certificate to the LABC, so he clearly will issue one, there are cases where it does not make financial sense for an electrician to be a scheme member, one needs to do a far bit of notifiable work to be worth while, work for the disabled is free to notify, and commercial work does not need notifying and what needs notifying depends on where you live.

An EICR and the EIC are not legally required, the whole of the BS 7671 is not legally required to be followed, although is can be used in a court of law, an electrician has been taken to court by trading standards for poor workmanship, the same applies to any trade, but there is since that law banning closed shop, not law to stop anyone claiming to be an electrician, there are some professions where the law does stop people saying they are members like the police for example, but not electricians.

So you need to show the work was not to a professional standard. I would think it hard to show leaving the earth sleeve off means not to a professional standard, not good practice, but not really enough to cause problems, in most cases.

So when you sell the house you will be asked if you have had any notifiable work done, and if so to produce the certificates these are either compliance or completion certificates, the EICR and EIC are normally provided but there is no requirement for them, I misplaced my certificates for my mothers house, and tried to get replacements, the LABC who should have copies, told me it would take 4 months and would cost however long it took the council worker to find them. In other words go away and don't be silly, I told the solicitor who said no problem we can take our an insurance. Not sure how that works, as then I found the missing certificates.

Looking at them I realised there was very little to say which certificate covered what, I had three, one for a rewire, one for the kitchen, and one for bathroom, but nothing written on them to say exactly what they covered, I knew as I was involved with the work, but there was nothing to tell a stranger what related to what, with the completion certificate there was nothing at all to relate it to the EIC which I had raised and the completion certificate had been issued as a result of what I had written. And clearly the LABC could not be bothered.

So unless the work is sub-standard then little anyone can do.

So if one wanted a new circuit, say a supply for a boiler to be installed. The scheme member would issue a certificate for that work, so you would then have a certificate, not for the work done by the other electrician, but he would need to work in the consumer unit, so would highlight any faults, and the solicitors would be non the wiser.

At least mine weren't, I was given an EIC which showed a collection of circuits, but on moving in, found it only related to the old garage which had been turned into a flat, there was no certificated for the main house, and if done before 2004 they are not required.

The case brought by Pembrokeshire County Council Trading Standards and heard by Judge Huw Rees at Merthyr Tydfil Crown Court on Monday, September 20, 2021 where the electrician had not displayed a warranty of skill, is the only one I know of, but it was the electrician taken to court not the person selling the house. I was quite surprised, I would have thought the buyer would have needed to take seller to court and the seller take the electrician to court as clearly no contract between the buyer and the electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back