Electricity safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in dispute with my builder and would like to know if any of his works seem safe to you. He still has not issued a certificate to us. The guys who did the work are not certified electrician.

This is the full story here
//www.diynot.com/forums/building-regs-planning/how-to-get-rid-of-my-builder.353854/

Sponsored Links
How do you know they are not certified and why did you let them do the work if that was the case ?

I'll just consulate my crystal ball...

Elaborate please.

Sponsored Links
Refer them to item 10 on your pricing schedule it's pretty clear.

I've gone through your pictures and the quality of work is woeful. Did they employ a plasterer or did they ask an art student to have a go?

They quoted £750 for electrical work, which given the full re wiring required in the remodelled bit, the new board, the lights and all the rest wouldn't have been enough ££ had I been asked to do the works.

That double window with you shadowed in the back ground looks like it has not got a lintel to support it, there appears to be a pronounced bow when you look at the two opening areas at the top.

Personally I'd suggest yo employ a independent building surveyor and get a report regarding works done. If the report comes back as very negative I'd then look towards trading standards and the Courts.

Regarding the electrical, I assume that all goes to the board in the hall cabinet? Could you take a few pictures, nice and clear and post them up?

Most of those photos are of a temporary setup, without seeing the actual wiring, connections, Consumer Unit etc and more detail it's not possible to say much other than that it looks temporary and unfinished.

The outdoor socket, which circuit is it connected to and using what cable, is it on an RCD, does it have a DP isolator etc? Was the person who installed it Part P qualified and did they notify or can they self certify?

The extension lead, one of the plugs is very badly wired, but what is it connected to, something of yours or something of the builders? What will replace it once the need for this temporary setup is ended?

The ceiling rose/junction box, again temporary and unfinished, but without more detail it's difficult to say.

It's fairly clear that at the moment, in its temporary unfinished state you shouldn't go prodding the wires with your fingers

Refer them to item 10 on your pricing schedule it's pretty clear.

I've gone through your pictures and the quality of work is woeful. Did they employ a plasterer or did they ask an art student to have a go?

They quoted £750 for electrical work, which given the full re wiring required in the remodelled bit, the new board, the lights and all the rest wouldn't have been enough ££ had I been asked to do the works.

That double window with you shadowed in the back ground looks like it has not got a lintel to support it, there appears to be a pronounced bow when you look at the two opening areas at the top.

Personally I'd suggest yo employ a independent building surveyor and get a report regarding works done. If the report comes back as very negative I'd then look towards trading standards and the Courts.

Regarding the electrical, I assume that all goes to the board in the hall cabinet? Could you take a few pictures, nice and clear and post them up?

Fo the window he put th elintel after he put the window.

Most of those photos are of a temporary setup, without seeing the actual wiring, connections, Consumer Unit etc and more detail it's not possible to say much other than that it looks temporary and unfinished.

The outdoor socket, which circuit is it connected to and using what cable, is it on an RCD, does it have a DP isolator etc? Was the person who installed it Part P qualified and did they notify or can they self certify?

The extension lead, one of the plugs is very badly wired, but what is it connected to, something of yours or something of the builders? What will replace it once the need for this temporary setup is ended?

The ceiling rose/junction box, again temporary and unfinished, but without more detail it's difficult to say.

It's fairly clear that at the moment, in its temporary unfinished state you shouldn't go prodding the wires with your fingers

The contractor had 2 guys , who did everything from plastering, bricks walls and electricity. They are not qualified.
The extension lead it comes from the boiler and they have done this.

It's difficult to tell for sure from the picture but those sockets look like the type that only seals when not in use. Given how close they are to a tap and to the ground that seems like a bad idea.

Also both the sockets and the tap look stupidly close to the ground.

If the power is on that is highly unsafe as switches usually have accessible live parts on the back.

Leaving the power strip hanging like that puts stress on the cable, also one of the plugs has inner conductors visible which is not acceptable as it means there will not be proper strain relief and it means there is only a single layer of insulation.

The remaining pictures look like more cases of devices that have been removed to work on the wall and not re-fitted properly.

Here's the piccy of the back of the switch from the thread in Building regs forum:
:eek:
Top quality workmanship that makes my plastering look good ;)
Looks more like socket cable to me, also lack of sleeving, earthing etc. I don't think the wires are temporary as they have been plastered in.

(T'is my fault that there is now another thread as I suggested more electricians would see it here.)

I regulary work on refurbs with customers and other trades on the loose between my visits, I would never leave site without fixing all the accessories back to the wall, even if I was going to the wholesaler (or the cafe :LOL: ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back