Electricity supply to New salon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am building a hairdressing salon at the rear of my house and i am looking to run the main power cable in whilst all the upheaval is going on and then get an electrician in to do all the power, but i am unsure what size of armoured cable i need.

The salon will have 2 rooms with probably 2 lights, half a dozen sockets, a couple of electric heaters maybe around 2000w each and the smallest shower i can find (around 7kw if i can get it.

I will be running the cable from my house electricity supply it will be traveling through underground ducting to a total length of around 20 metres.

Can anyone help so i can purchase the cable and get it ran in???

Sponsored Links
You need to consult your electrician on this one as it will be encompassed within the whole new installation.

Highly likely you will need to contact your DNO and get a new power supply fitted to the second building. I doubt you will have enough capacity to run a saloon and a house.

yeah we havent decided on an electrical contractor as of yet. Getting a brand new supply does not sound like an easy or a cheap thing to get done. Will my current supplier be able to tell me how much capacity my house supply has or can take? Or wold the electrician be able to decide. Is there any tests that they can do to determine what we need to do as i dont want an electrician coming in and supplying power to the salon from the house if it cannot take the salons demand?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I will be running the cable from my house electricity supply it will be traveling through underground ducting to a total length of around 20 metres.

If you have ducting in place, why the big rush to run the cable in now? It can be pulled through the duct later by your electrician.

I am building a hairdressing salon at the rear of my house
Given that this work would inevitably require planning permission and building regulations approval, how is it that major construction work is underway and yet you do not have any plans as to how the services to the building will be provided?

Services which obviously must include water and drainage as well as electricity?

FYI, we were going to dig a trench and lay the armoured cable in the trench so no ducting was required.

Our "salon" is not as major a project as it sounds, it wil be a garden log cabin which will be around 9 m2 so not massive therefor plans etc are not required. It is just a starter salon for my wife before we venture into buying a proper shop.

We will require water which a plumer is going to do for us but we dont require drainage as all waste water will go into garden waste water barrels.

All i wanted to know was if anyone could help with cable sizes etc, it doesnt really matter if i am putting in ducting or if we have plans etc which should already specify the details, i was only looking for an amswer to my question!!!

I will be running the cable from my house electricity supply it will be traveling through underground ducting
FYI, we were going to dig a trench and lay the armoured cable in the trench so no ducting was required.
You don't seem to have a clear idea of how the cable will be installed..

All i wanted to know was if anyone could help with cable sizes etc, it doesnt really matter if i am putting in ducting or if we have plans etc which should already specify the details, i was only looking for an amswer to my question!!!
You have an answer to your question - it is here.

I will be running the cable from my house electricity supply
As plumbing in the outbuilding means the possibility of extraneous conductive parts, if you have a TN-C-S supply have you decided whether to extend the equipotential zone to the outbuilding or not?

That decision, and it's implications on main equipotential bonding and the choice of cable size are all your responsibility if you insist on going ahead and doing the design work yourself rather than letting an electrician do it.

Nobody here can make those decisions at it is you who has to be confident that you could justifiably attest that having exercised reasonable skill and care when carrying out the design that it was to the best of your knowledge and belief in accordance with BS 7671:2008, not anybody here.

Good luck.

Hi

You will probably need a building warrant for any structure over 8 sq m

If this is for business use (if you are taking any money) then you may also need to comply to other regs

Things you need to obtain a decent price guide
How are you going to heat the place (gas or leccy)?
Is there any water heating, is it storage or instantaeous?
The lighting will need to comply with the relevant energy efficiency requirements (needs to be >= 55 lumens per circuit watt)

You only have 2 options;
Find out - IN WRITING - if any building standards apply, and comply if they do

Completely ignore the lot and hope for the best

The second option is one you take at your peril as you could be made to knock the building down

on the energy efficiency thing-it is money well spent if you intend to be there more than 2 years- more money spent during the install will be saved in reduced running costs

Building standards info here

Hope this helps (and doesn't depress you)

but we dont require drainage as all waste water will go into garden waste water barrels.

Not a good idea as the chemicals used in hairdressing will not be good for the health of plants in the garden. And will the "salon" close if the barrels are full

That suggests you have not obtained all the information you need to set up and operate a hairdressing salon in a safe way.

If this starter salon goes wrong then it will be even harder to get a good reputation as a reliable and safe hairdresser.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back