Electrics allowed in a bathroom cupboard.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are reconfiguring an existing bathroom and I am using a wireless shower mixer to supply the shower as well as an overflow filler and hand held shower.

I plan to use solenoid valves to control the flow of water, one for each controlled by a touch sensitive IP44 rated 3 gang switch.

Logic says to me to use 12v however my interpretation of Part P is that anything behind a wall (so in a cupboard behind plasterboard and tiles) is counted as 'outside' so could be mains.

The shower mixer is mains powered so it seems it would be compliant to use mains valves. Does anyone know whether this is right?

Sponsored Links
What zone is the switch to be mounted in?

Does the cupboard have a door?

Electric showers are 240V. Where are they normally situated?

It depends whether they are made for the location.

Sponsored Links
I am using a wireless shower mixer
In the name of all that is sane, WHY?

I plan to use solenoid valves to control the flow of water, one for each controlled by a touch sensitive IP44 rated 3 gang switch.

Logic says to me to use 12v
Logic says to me that that level of unnecessary complexity is bonkers.

I am using a wireless shower mixer
In the name of all that is sane, WHY?

Logic says to me to use 12v
Logic says to me that that level of unnecessary complexity is bonkers.

There's always one! I'll humour you though...

Wireless showers offer mixed water at a digitally regulated temperature, and the one I have chosen is cheaper than a main brand faucet unlike the wireless showers available from main brands. This arrangement is possible with a diverter but I don't want any taps on show.

I've never been keen on faucets in any event. They make cleaning difficult and generally get in the way IMO. The proposed arrangement will extend the benefits of the regulated output of the shower to the bath and handheld which is great if you have curious kids.

That would carry a very high risk of scalding.

Sorry but t is bordering on stupid to use touch switches and wireless to control the flow of hot water into a shower head.

That would carry a very high risk of scalding.

Sorry but t is bordering on stupid to use touch switches and wireless to control the flow of hot water into a shower head.

Not sure if you understand the principal of wireless showers? The water temperature is controlled by the mixer unit not the valves.

In my situation the control is IP44 so ok in Zone 2.
Does the manufacturer state it is suitable for use in Zone 2? There's more to it than just the IP rating.

I do get that but as there's nothing really designed to be a switch suitable for Zones I'm just relying on the IP rating which is required for those Zones.
Not good enough. It might be IP44 (when used as intended) yet permit condensation to form inside, or might otherwise be unsuitable for continued use in a steamy atmosphere. IP44 means only that it is protected against splashes of water during a 10 minute test, and that it is protected against the ingress of solid objects with a diameter greater than 1mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back