Electrics allowed in a bathroom cupboard.

In my situation the control is IP44 so ok in Zone 2.
Does the manufacturer state it is suitable for use in Zone 2? There's more to it than just the IP rating.

I do get that but as there's nothing really designed to be a switch suitable for Zones I'm just relying on the IP rating which is required for those Zones.
Not good enough. It might be IP44 (when used as intended) yet permit condensation to form inside, or might otherwise be unsuitable for continued use in a steamy atmosphere. IP44 means only that it is protected against splashes of water during a 10 minute test, and that it is protected against the ingress of solid objects with a diameter greater than 1mm.

The same applies to 240v down-lighters though surely? Most of them are only IP44.

Sponsored Links
Does the manufacturer state it is suitable for use in Zone 2? There's more to it than just the IP rating.
To be fair, the Regulations do not require that the maker states suitability for Zone 2.
No, but 512.2 does require that equipment is suitable for the environment in which it is to be used, and no-one but the manufacturer can claim that something is suitable for use in a bathroom without extensive (and expensive) tests.

How many regular FCUs does one see outside the zones? What specific steam/condensation protective measures are employed by ceiling light and shower switches?

Sponsored Links
How many regular FCUs does one see outside the zones? What specific steam/condensation protective measures are employed by ceiling light and shower switches?
I expect the better designers of such accessories know that they are likely to be used in bathrooms and design them accordingly.
I think a remote garage door controller would pass the IP44 test, but I don't think it would last long in a bathroom.

I expect the better designers of such accessories know that they are likely to be used in bathrooms and design them accordingly.
I think a remote garage door controller would pass the IP44 test, but I don't think it would last long in a bathroom.

I reckon it would be a bit draughty!

I plan to use solenoid valves to control the flow of water, one for each controlled by a touch sensitive IP44 rated 3 gang switch.

solenoid valves to control the flow. controlled by a 3 gang switch. No mention of a thermostatic mixer

It's [thermostatic mixer] in the original post. This is off topic though let's leave it there.
I must have missed it.

And seeing as the remote controller seems to control the mixer ( assumed to include thermostatic control of the water flow ) why would you need to control solenoids with a switch. Or is it that you are concerned that a wireless "malfunction" may turn on the shower and these solenoids will prevent waste of water if that "malfunction" should happen. Good idea. except a wireless "malfunction" may affect one of the solenoids while the shower is in use.

I must have missed it.

And seeing as the remote controller seems to control the mixer ( assumed to include thermostatic control of the water flow ) why would you need to control solenoids with a switch. Or is it that you are concerned that a wireless "malfunction" may turn on the shower and these solenoids will prevent waste of water if that "malfunction" should happen. Good idea. except a wireless "malfunction" may affect one of the solenoids while the shower is in use.

IIAC; The solenoids are to control and divert the flow of water between the fixed shower head, hand held shower, and the overflow filler. The regulation of temperature and main on/off function would be done from a of the shelf wireless shower mixer.

joewa would it be possible if you used something like a Mira Platinum Dual Valve/Controller and then just used a normal mechanical diverter valve to control the flow of water between the fixed shower head and the hand held one. The Mira Platinum Dual Valve/Controller would feed the overflow filler and the diverter valve; the diverter valve would then feed to both the fixed shower and the hand held one as mentioned above. A pumped version of the Mira Platinum Dual Valve/Controller is also available.

He doesn't want taps.
I've never been keen on faucets in any event. They make cleaning difficult and generally get in the way IMO. The proposed arrangement will extend the benefits of the regulated output of the shower to the bath and handheld which is great if you have curious kids.
Although why curious kids wouldn't be even more inclined to play with touch sensitive switches than with conventional levers I'm not sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back