Electricty Meter tag?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal for the Electricty Meter to have an “anti-tamper” tag on it?

My builders have moved the fuse box and had to elongate the wires from the meter. To do this, they removed the metal tag on the meter fixings. Now the meter has no tag on it. Will this get reported by any future meter readers and investigated? Do i need to ask them to retag it or something?

Sponsored Links
Yes by doing that the builders have rendered you and themselves in the realm of possible prosecution for interference with the meter!

OK that's the hard sell, the seal is there to "warn" folk that the meter does not belong to you and that only Supplier or DNO authorised staff are permitted to break the seal and work on the connections, if they didn't withdraw the main fuse they were working live which is even worse (the main fuse is sealed for the same reason.
In reality nothing will happen as there is at the moment no will within the industry to deal with the issue.

Thanks for the reply. That confirms what I suspected. What do you think I should do? I can ask the builder (the electrician who did it was only site for the day and I never saw him) or is it just not worth the bother?

I guess at the end of the day, I’ve not been in the house too long so I can always claim it was like that all along!

Some folk dont know that you shouldnt touch the meter - there should be a big sign on it saying "dont break this seal, risk of death or prosecution" - some lack this message.

Sponsored Links
At the end of the day...

I am not sure what work the electrician did?

Whatever it was you should be getting an Installation Certificate for it and (if the work is notifiable) the electrician should have notified the local authority and you should get a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.

Meter readers are all sub contracted and are only interested in how many meters they can read in an hour. So do not worry. That meter seal has always been missing, hasn't it? ;)

an Installation Certificate for it and (if the work is notifiable) the electrician should have notified the local authority and you should get a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate.

Meter readers are all sub contracted and are only interested in how many meters they can read in an hour. So do not worry. That meter seal has always been missing, hasn't it? ;)

I wish they all were, you'd be very surprised at what some report and I get sent to look at.

REPORT: "Copper showing near meter"
I drop everything and rush there in case it's live, get there and it's the earth into the MET. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies

He moved the fuse box, and it was obviously easier to extend the lead from the meter than rewire all the circuits!

It's all being done under Building Control and the council officer came out yesterday and seemed happy enough!

i dnt know of any electricians that will call out the electricity board to cut and reseal there work after they have completed it, never heard of any one being caught or if they check them full stop

That doesn't alter the fact that it's very likely to be illegal for an electrician to do it, and that people, be they DIYers or new electricians should not be advised to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back