En Suite Queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Everyone,
XebkNFm

So I am doing an ensuite in my house.

The walls have bonding (old) and have been skimmed (6 months ago).

Looking back that probably wasn't the best way to go.

My original plan was to use No More Ply, screw wooden battens into the wall for the shower area and screw the No more Ply into them, so it would be pretty secure.

I have read that you can dot and dab NMP to the skimmed wall directly, prime the area with sbr mix, prime the boards, use rapid set tile adhesive and stick to the wall and level. This would help reduce the space needed overall.

NMP the floor as well so it could be tiled. I would No More Ply under the shower tray, but wouldn't tile under it as there would be no point

Shower tray I am going to raise it off the floor so the waste is easily accessible.

My plan is to create a wooden frame and then use gripfill or some variation of no more nails to attach the shower tray to the wooden base.

Then screw the wooden base to the walls, now this leads to my next question. I am thinking to NMP the whole shower area down to the no more ply on the floor. So the wooden frame would be sitting on the NMP, I would then have to drill through that and mount it to the wall.

I plan to use some tanking paste such as TDS Tanking Kit, you tape the joins and paste it on, and then tile over. Probably overkill, but I have the time and I want to try and do a decent job myself. NMP joins are stuck together anyway.

The wall near the shower tray will be a wooden false wall behind it. I will create some shelving for storage and run the hot and cold pipework and shower waste through it.

Would you NMP all the way or only up to the shower tray on the wall? That way the NMP would sit over the tray slightly, instead of the NMP going down to the floor and the tray butting up against it.

Now is what I am planning sounding reasonable, or any obvious flaws etc?

Ive attached a very crappy drawing of what I was planning in general with the wooden bettens etc https://imgur.com/a/XebkNFm

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back