En suite Ventilation Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.
We have an ensuite which does not have an outside wall. The room itself is a joke the ventilation is a small fan in the ceiling that vents into the loft and then piped via some cheapo ducting to the eaves.

The room is knackered, being plasterboard walls they've absorbed most of the moisture and it all needs re-plastering (only some of the room is tiled).

This is now starting to impact on the neighbouring bedrooms as the moisture is ruining them as well.

My first plan was to just remove the ensuite which is a gimmicky marketing design when the house was built (by Barratts in 2004) and poorly constructed. But with a baby on the way, I need to remedy the issues pronto and shelve the idea of removing it.

Would I be right to install another (larger - not really sure where to get one from) fan directly above the shower cubicle in the roof?

would tiling the entire room help?!

or should I rip it out and put a shower in the main bathroom which has a window!

Help.

Sponsored Links
you can only but try a stronger fan, might be an idea to duct in a vent from outside as well so that when the doors shut and the fan is blowing it will pull through some outside air. I would suggest a single room heat recovery unit but I've only seen the through wall types which by the sounds of it you cant have.

The plasterboard is almost certainly shot as well so when you replace it & re-tile, use the right materials; Moisture Resistant PB in dry areas but use waterproof tile backer board in wet areas to avoid problems with moisture. If the room is small, it’s worth using backer board on the whole lot. Visit the tiling forum sticky & archive posts before you start with that, correct preparation & using quality material of the correct type are all important.

Check the fan spec before you buy, many of the chaepo units will only push air through up to 3m of ducting. As stated, air must be allowed to into the room for the fan to push air/condensation out.

Sponsored Links
Its a very common fault to fit an extract fan without considering providing an inlet air source.

The other question is to fan run time! Fans are expected to come on with the light and then OVERUN for about 10-20 minutes.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back