1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

En-suite without building regs approval

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by 1st time flat owner, 24 Jun 2020.

  1. 1st time flat owner

    1st time flat owner

    24 Jun 2020
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    We suspect that one of the toilets (en-suite) in our flat has been built without building regulations approval about 8 years ago (by previous owners). Our freeholder now understandably requires us to check the works have been done to a good and safe standard, and we’re having to apply for a retrospective regularisation from our local building control.

    Regarding the plumbing and ventilation, are intrusive inspections often required for this? We suspect new plumbing is under our bedroom floor (hot/water pipes, waste water pipe etc). Would the surveyor need to pull up floorboards etc to check everything?

    Thanks for all your help!
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. frutbunn


    22 Jun 2020
    Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Check with your local authority to see if they received a B Reg app first. If not you can apply for a Regularisation certificate. You must satisfy building control it complies with the B Regs applicable at the time the work was carried out, this may involve opening up and/or remedial work.
    The way I deal with them is to carry out an initial inspection, depending on the site specific work I may then require some of the work to be uncovered. Its unlikely I would insist on exposing the waste pipes, water pipes are not considered by B Regs.
    Strictly speaking you should provide plans of the work prior to it being carried out, as it is now along with any remedial works. I have never insisted on this, nor have any authorities I have dealt with on the other side of the fence, but best to just check with them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1

Share This Page