End of the pipe line for gas engineers

Sponsored Links
Would the network even cope with hydrogen? I was under the impression that hydrogen molecules were smaller than natural gas, so more likely to leak out.
you really don't have a grip on this science stuff do you LOL
Help..I have a molecular leak on the plastic pipe...can you bring your electron microscope and find it LOL....

Hydrogen does permeate through the material that plastic pipes are made from. The rate of permeation for H2 is far higher than that for natural gas.

But still ( it is believed ) not enough H2 permeates to create a hazard in normal use and time scales..

from https://www.researchgate.net/public...after_an_Ageing_under_an_Hydrogen_Environment

Abstract and Figures
With the development of hydrogen as an energy vector, its delivery and transport from the production site to the end user remains an issue. Indeed, the key challenge to overcome is the high hydrogen permeation through existing polymer infrastructures used for natural gas distribution (Polyethylene pipes, components as connecting parts). This high flow rate of hydrogen through polymer has to be taken into account for safety and economical requirements. This 3-year project investigates pure hydrogen gas and mixtures (20% CH 4-80% H 2) in pipelines made of engineering polymers to develop and assess material solutions to cope with today problems for H 2 distribution. Materials such as polyethylene (PE100) and polyamide 11 (PA11) have been studied. PE100 is considered as a reference material as it is used today in natural gas distribution pipes. PA11 should allow a higher operating pressure combined with better gas-barrier performances. Test benches and protocols for testing materials in terms of mechanical and barrier properties were first developed. The materials have then been studied in terms of barrier, mechanical properties and on a microstructural point of view. The properties of the raw material and samples after ageing in presence of hydrogen in various conditions were compared to assess the long term behaviour in service. These results as well as the comparison between PA11 and PE are presented

Help..I have a molecular leak on the plastic pipe...can you bring your electron microscope and find it LOL....

Before commenting on matters you don't quite understand, I would suggest that next time you do a bit of research.

Sponsored Links

You do seem inclined to stick out your neck a lot for someone who turned up here very recently in search of help.

He's got a better grip on it than you have! Hydrogen permeation is a known issue that industry is working to resolve

well you refer to yourselves as heating engineers with only a very low level NVQ so why not add scientist to the mix. After all, I'm sure most plumbers studies A level Chemistry....LOL

No-one has yet mentioned the NOx issue when burning Hydrogen - a pretty major technical problem to overcome.
...and is your hydrogen Blue, or Green! ;)

Going back the theme / title, End of the pipe line for gas engineers - will it really be any different? Surely most the work of a heating engineer is dealing with the machine and water - the gas part is relatively straightforward, in that you plug it in and check it isn't leaking?

I am probably missing something major, as I haven't a clue really, but my point is, the same skills will be needed to run heat pumps as gas boilers, just a bit or reading up on how the things work?

No-one has yet mentioned the NOx issue when burning Hydrogen -

It has been mentioned in connection with the amount of excess air that is allowed into the combustion chamber,

the more air there is the more un-used Oxygen there will be available to be reacted with Nitrogen

The only way to prevent the production of NOx is to ensure the amount of Oxygen supplied is exactly the amount required to burn the fuel. But that would make it necessary to have a complex air control system and very good mixing of the Hydrogen and Oxygen to ensure all the Hydrogen was burnt.

That is not practical as it has the risk of some Hydrogen not being burnt and escaping via the flue

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/any-thoughts-on-the-future-of-heating.578015/#ixzz7AURjX6va

It has been mentioned in connection with the amount of excess air that is allowed into the combustion chamber
Sorry, I meant, it hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread.
And I thought it may appear rude to mention my own thread! ;)

Thermodynamics and fluid dynamics should also be studied
My point exactly...make being an engineer for plumbing just that..become an engineer. BEng or MEng require 3 A levels (with maths @ A grade minimum.). ps I'm staring to refer to myself as Doctor now as I've just been on an afternoon first aid course..

My point exactly...make being an engineer for plumbing just that..become an engineer. BEng or MEng require 3 A levels (with maths @ A grade minimum.). ps I'm staring to refer to myself as Doctor now as I've just been on an afternoon first aid course..
I'm confident that the postnominals of many of this forums members would surprise you! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back