1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

End of the pipe line for gas engineers

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by bernardgreen, 18 May 2021.

1. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. Londoner2

Londoner2

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not gonna happen, its just an opinion, plus theres loads of boilers to maintain n fix.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gasguru

Gasguru

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Only in their dreams....
    Yet another pointless article from a BBC journalist without any scientific background or education :rolleyes:
    It's bad enough that their health correspondents are equally clueless.

• Like Like x 7
  5. ianmcd

ianmcd

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Good try Bennyboy

6. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I thought the idea was to ban natural gas boilers, to be replaced by hydrogen boilers, heat pumps, electric heating, or something else. Wouldn't need much retraining for GSR guys to work on hydrogen.
    In any case, I'll believe it when I see it (if I'm still around). And what's the point of the UK doing this when others don't. Eg Germany is ready to build a new natural gas pipeline from Russia. Plenty of potential problems there, apart from climate change.

7. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    it's dependant on how much influence the international energy agency have with the government.

the reality is that what they are saying isnt really 100% possible in the real world, and a lot of what they are saying is pie in the sky. The optimum solution is to continue upgrading the gas network with plastic pipe, and when ready add a hydrogen mix into the network. obviously we'll all have to have boiler upgrades but will be a dam site cheaper in the long term than forcing everyone who needs a boiler replacement to have some form of heat pump.

that or it will force people to install wood burners in there houses instead then they'll see the emissions go up and we'll all be living in smog

8. Are they having the foresight to use plastic which is not porous to hydrogen?

9. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Would the network even cope with hydrogen? I was under the impression that hydrogen molecules were smaller than natural gas, so more likely to leak out.

10. Sponsored Links
  11. fixitflav

fixitflav

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    No doubt some kit would need replacing. I think steel and copper pipes would be OK, maybe not all plastics. Not sure whether the thinking is that boilers would need replacing, or perhaps some models can be modded for hydrogen. That's if it happens.
    Edit - according to data I have, following plastics are OK with hydrogen - ABS, uPVC, MDPE, and PP. Also EPDM for gaskets and seals

Last edited: 18 May 2021
  12. Old Salt

Old Salt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Jeremy Vine ( I know, sorry) had a guy on espousing the benefits of heat pumps, reckons their the dogs danglies and can be fitted anywhere as long as its got filled cavity walls. Hydrogen is crap because it needs to be produced near to where it will be used.

I can see a U turn coming up once reality hits. But we shall see.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I foresee lots of U turns in the pipeline, for these grand ideas.

14. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Of course they can be fitted (almost) anywhere, the only problem is they will not work every where and if they do "work" their performance is not guaranteed to be good.

15. Old Salt

Old Salt

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was being sarcastic

16. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I knew that

17. boolie

boolie

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the king is dead, long live the king!

RGI's make much more money from installs than repairs. Also a lot of RGI's haven't got the skills for diagnostics (present company excepted @Madrab , @muggles , @ianmcd , etc)

So if this is really gonna happen the writing's on the wall for RGI's. Although having said that, I suspect most punters wont DIY install a Hydrogen boiler even though it will be legal.. so as long as you learn about installation/repair of the new boilers you'll be fine. DIY-ers are few and far between.