Banning gas boilers

In winter? In built up areas? What if you don't have a roof? What if your roof is north facing.
Agree, that example i gave Is not going to be practical in all cases, but even now not everyone has gas. I was mainly meaning don't assume all the heat input would come from electric as without three phase heaters it would indeed be difficult.
For me the biggest source of heat input would be from the waste water but there are probably others

Sponsored Links
You are going wild on 3 phase, no need for it. Read what I wrote about Raindance, instant electric taps, etc.

Anyway I am off out to enjoy global warming in Feb.

Last edited:
A poorly designed or built one.
Built to a high quality.

instant electric taps are being viewed as a solution.
Along with recharging of electric cars electric taps are seen as a potential overlaod of the electricity supply networks

But water storage will also have to be massively increased to allow for the painfully slow recharge rates from electric sources.
For bath a solution is that a 8 kW heater slowly fills a well insulated tank with warmed water. When there is a bathful of water in the tank the contents are "dumped" into the bath.

Zero heating houses cost no more to build.
Several architects will strongly disagree with that statement

There will be free air flow using air to air heat exchangers.

Thanks for the reply.

I know very little about HVACs and it took a while to find any academic research.

The following suggests that they can be beneficial but doesn't seem to be comparing the use of them to leaving windows open (admittedly I only skimmed the article though).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3165134/

The impression I get is that a properly installed and regularly maintained HVAC will help people with allergies however most home owners that I know probably wont change the filters regularly enough and could suffer ill health. That said, many people refuse to open windows even when the condensation is dripping down the walls and windows.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

I know very little about HVACs and it took a while to find any academic research.

The following suggests that they can be beneficial but doesn't seem to be comparing the use of them to leaving windows open (admittedly I only skimmed the article though).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3165134/

The impression I get is that a properly installed and regularly maintained HVAC will help people with allergies however most home owners that I know probably wont change the filters regularly enough and could suffer ill health. That said, many people refuse to open windows even when the condensation is dripping down the walls and windows.
There are electrostatic air filters. They grab everything.
Houses in the UK climate can heat and cool themselves. They need to be designed and oriented correctly. This is not new technology wandering on the wild side, it has been known for decades.

St. Georges's solar school at Wallasey near Liverpool, built 1961, did not use fuel to heat it, but not one was ever built like it. I wonder why?

http://www.hevac-heritage.org/electronic_books/M&NW_anniversary/Section-11_StGeorge'sWallasey.pdf

imagesca3i0uk2.jpg

Last edited:
They might, but they will be low grade architects. Zero Heating homes have been around for decades.
One of them designs low energy ( even solar heated ) houses.

There are electrostatic air filters. They grab everything.
Research the apparent adverse effects of ionisation of the air.

Bernard read my posts on this thread.
I have.

Try reading about the “Philips Experimental House Project” Click HERE for the start of that reading.

As regards lithium batteries, try researching how many incidents there are involving spontaineous combustion of lithium batteries.

It's an interesting thread but all solutions are based on Utopian conjecture at this point in time. Just like the NHS, the best way forward would be to rebuild rather than reform, but that just isn't possible for myriad reasons.

And as we all know... Any action has an equal and opposite reaction (not in the literal sense) but all potential alternatives come with a new set of issues and problems when rolled out en masse to an extremely varied population and infrastructure.

However, it can be more subtle than that. For example, if all electric vehicles only charged up during the night when most people are asleep and electricity demand is very low, far from requiring extra generating stations

"if all electric vehicles only charged up during the night"

But they don't. depending on the range of the battery ( Rb) some day time charging is essential. Any journey to a location Rb/2 from home will require a ( partial ) re-charge at that location or somewhere along the route.

The results and conclusions from the survey will be interesting to read.

Odd that it was a WPD senior network engineer who considered the network in rural areas would need upgrading to provide for electric vehicle re-charging

But they don't. depending on the range of the battery ( Rb) some day time charging is essential. Any journey to a location Rb/2 from home will require a ( partial ) re-charge at that location or somewhere along the route

Charging enroute won't necessarily cause an issue as the Rapid charge Network can easily use Super Capacitors to spread the load as well as allow for the 150/200+kW charging rates that are coming.

There are electrostatic air filters. They grab everything

But by all accounts they can increase ozone levels in the house by up to 6 times.

Sorry, I am not trying to be dismissive. I would just like to see more independent research in to the benefits of such systems vs (for example) leaving windows slightly open. And as I said earlier, it may be the case that poorly maintained systems will harm homeowners. Do such systems nag owners to clean the filters and ducting? And how are you expected to clean the ducting. Are the filters convenient to get to?

Charging enroute won't necessarily cause an issue as the Rapid charge Network can easily use Super Capacitors to spread the load as well as allow for the 150/200+kW charging rates that are coming.

Super capacitors on an AC network?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back